Jumping ahead to the trade deadline

I am very pleased with the acquisitions. I think each of the three (Regehr, Erhoff, and Leino) are solid players, and not just last minute bargain pick-ups as in past years. I am very disappointed that a top line center was not acquired. I would rather see Leino play a wing, but even if he is center, Roy is still our top line guy. That's where I have the issue.

Pegula and Regier have been too good for me to think they don't have a reason, and I do not think it is cap-space related. The roster right now should be a top eight team in the East. I do think they will struggle a little with defensive chemistry to start the year, but not as bad as last year.

My thought is that the Sabres start next season as is, and at the trade deadline, pick up a top center who will become a free agent in 2012, like Parise. They would then have that center for the playoff run and beyond. They do not need to be a Cup contender at the start of the year -- just at the end. But, my question is, who else is out there?

Go Sabres!!!

I don't believe Parise is a center, but I would take him anyway if he were available... :thumbsup:

Whether Ottawa wants to admit it or not they aren't going to be contenders during Spezza's prime. Should do the guy a favor and trade him. Maybe by deadline day they will.. but really that is just waaay too far away for me to think about right now. I just want the season to start.

I don't believe Parise is a center, but I would take him anyway if he were available... :thumbsup:

Whether Ottawa wants to admit it or not they aren't going to be contenders during Spezza's prime. Should do the guy a favor and trade him. Maybe by deadline day they will.. but really that is just waaay too far away for me to think about right now. I just want the season to start.

Obviously I don't want a guy with hands of stone and skates so slowly he gets frozen in place, but the biggest thing I want from the #1 center is faceoff wins. Spezza is a very good playmaker, no one can argue that. My problem would be is that he's never struck me as a dominant faceoff guy - I don't have the stats, it's just my perception.

Obviously I don't want a guy with hands of stone and skates so slowly he gets frozen in place, but the biggest thing I want from the #1 center is faceoff wins. Spezza is a very good playmaker, no one can argue that. My problem would be is that he's never struck me as a dominant faceoff guy - I don't have the stats, it's just my perception.

You might be right about his faceoff percentage, but while it obviously IS important to win faceoffs, i look at it like this... we've been using Roy/Connolly (who aren't particularly great faceoff guys either) as #1 centers and though they didn't necessarily meet expectations, they weren't AWFUL either. They were good enough to get us into the playoffs and in position to advance to the second round. So by adding Spezza, even if he's not winning any MORE faceoffs than Roy or Connolly, his point production and playmaking alone should be an improvement and could get us over the hump.

Maybe Spezza isn't the best guy for the job. Hard to say really, but it's one name I'd be willing to try.

I am very pleased with the acquisitions. I think each of the three (Regehr, Erhoff, and Leino) are solid players, and not just last minute bargain pick-ups as in past years. I am very disappointed that a top line center was not acquired. I would rather see Leino play a wing, but even if he is center, Roy is still our top line guy. That's where I have the issue.

Pegula and Regier have been too good for me to think they don't have a reason, and I do not think it is cap-space related. The roster right now should be a top eight team in the East. I do think they will struggle a little with defensive chemistry to start the year, but not as bad as last year.

My thought is that the Sabres start next season as is, and at the trade deadline, pick up a top center who will become a free agent in 2012, like Parise. They would then have that center for the playoff run and beyond. They do not need to be a Cup contender at the start of the year -- just at the end. But, my question is, who else is out there?

Go Sabres!!!

Parise is not a center, but I KNOW that if we ever got him, we would be Cup bound. My feeling is that he is everything we need to go all the way. I've studied him since he's on my $ fantasy league, and when it comes to $, you study everyone.

And yes, they do need a center as well. I would hate for them to give up the picks they have in the next draft, since it's going to be a very good one, but I would also hate to give up Ennis. It's like we're between a rock and a hard spot.

A name that I keep thinking about is Lacavalier. With a monster contract going to Stamkos, can they keep him and stay under the cap? Hmmmm...I'd prefer him to Spezza and definitely to Stastny.

Iginla when the Flames tank this year. Regehr tells him to come on over here.

No way we have the cash for Iginla. We'd have to ransom half the team to get him.

I'm not ready to make a call on the deadline, simply because I don't think we're done yet. But if this is the team we're going to war with come Uncle Terry's European Vacation, I'd like to see a big center come over at the deadline from someone out of it completely/looking to reload. That could be a Spezza or a Zajac (You know how Uncle Lou gets sometimes) or someone who still isn't at all apparent has any shot at being available.

Archived