The 1970's were a great time to be a Buffalo sports fan...

LabattBlue

The 1970's(especially 1970-1976) were a great time to be a Buffalo sports fan.

The Sabres come out of the gate and make the playoffs in their 3rd year and the Cup finals in their 5th year. Games in the Aud. The French Connection, Schoenfeld, Korab, Luce, Ramsay, Gare, etc... It was a great time to be a Sabres fan.

The Bills while not having a lot of success(only 3 winning season 74-76), moved into a brand spanking new stadium, had one of the all-time greats in OJ Simpson, and other players such as JD Hill, Frank Lewis, Joe Ferguson, Tony Greene, Steve Freeman, Bob Chandler and the Electric Co.

Last but not least and gone but not forgotten, the Braves. Bob McAdoo, Randy Smith, Jimmy MacMillan, Ernie D. and crew rocked the Aud for several seasons until they were sold to John Y. Brown, dismantled and eventually moved to San Diego.

GREAT TIMES! GREAT TIMES! :thumbsup:

I remember a poll posted on the Buffalo News back then. A national rating system that took into account attendance and quality of teams / product, and voted Buffalo the #1 sports town in the nation (despite being handicapped for not having a Major League Team). Out of that was born that "Buffalo Sports Fan" magazine that went on for a few years...

At one time, the Bill's, Sabtes & Braves all led their respective leagues in attendance. Truly a great place to grow up in, if you loved / love sports!

Here's hoping the Pegula Sabres can bring back some of that spirit that we saw come out of the bottle a bit, post-lockout...

As always...

GO SABRES!!

GO BILLS!!

The 1970's(especially 1970-1976) were a great time to be a Buffalo sports fan.

The Sabres come out of the gate and make the playoffs in their 3rd year and the Cup finals in their 5th year. Games in the Aud. The French Connection, Schoenfeld, Korab, Luce, Ramsay, Gare, etc... It was a great time to be a Sabres fan.

The Bills while not having a lot of success(only 3 winning season 74-76), moved into a brand spanking new stadium, had one of the all-time greats in OJ Simpson, and other players such as JD Hill, Frank Lewis, Joe Ferguson, Tony Greene, Steve Freeman, Bob Chandler and the Electric Co.

Last but not least and gone but not forgotten, the Braves. Bob McAdoo, Randy Smith, Jimmy MacMillan, Ernie D. and crew rocked the Aud for several seasons until they were sold to John Y. Brown, dismantled and eventually moved to San Diego.

GREAT TIMES! GREAT TIMES! :thumbsup:

Good post.

1973-76 is around when I became a Sabres fan coinciding with me starting to ice skate and play some pick up pond hockey in the park across from my parents house.

Of course we all wanted to be the french connection players.

And likewise we all wanted to be OJ simpson in our pickup football games. Basketball was not something I followed back then but I do remember the Braves press.

On a side note my wife also became a fan in late seventies and has a picture from her childhood of her room with a vintage Gil Perreault poster on her wall. Actually liking, going and watching hockey games with me on dates in the late eighties is what helped seal the deal for me.

Great times indeed.

I became a Sabres fan when I was 5 years old...........They were on TV more then the Leafs......In my class there was Me the Sabre fan, Steve the Bruins fan and everyone else liked the Habs or the leafs........I at the time also thought Buffalo was a Canadian city, for good reason, a lot of snow and the entire city loved Hockey......My first Jersey was a Rick Martin Jersey, but my next 4 were all Gilbert Perreault.......I also have a Peca and a Jersey with my name on the back..........Other kids thought I was nuts trading Steve Shutt and Guy Lafluer cards for Don Edwards and Mike Ramsey cards, lol.

Archived