37 Days until the Playoffs

topshelfcookies

CBSsportsline.com has started a countdown to the playoffs. 37 days as of Wednesday morning.

It's amazing how ridiculous this team is. Just think...2 years ago we were all wishing Marty hadn't tanked the entire 1st half of the season.

No other Sabre team in my lifetime (I was born in '83, so I wasn't really aware of the Sabres until probably about 89-90) has played with this much confidence, no matter where they're playing, what line is out on the ice, who is in net, if they're in the lead or trailing...nothing phases these guys.

Huge hyped up game vs Ottawa, who has smoked us bad in two previous meetings? Thomas, go do something sweet in the shootout.

No leading scorer for a month?

No captain and leading scorer for a month? We'll adjust.

Insane schedule after the Olympic break? How's 7 wins in a row sound.

Down by 2 goals in Philly? No prob.

Down 3-1 vs the worst team in the league, who has already beat you this season? Ehh...we'll figure it out. Danny, why don't you go get us a couple goals.

They win games they should win. They win games they shouldn't win. They come from behind. They score quickly. Their PP is fantastic. PK is just as good...sometimes better. MAN! I know this is simply a rant, but this is just so much fun!

They are absolutely amazing.

Anyways... here are 10 things I can't wait 37 days for...

1. People to start driving around with those Sabres car flags sticking out of their windows.

2. Not having to wear boots and a parka to a Sabres game that means something.

3. Driving down Delaware and seeing Sabres logos painted on the road once again.

4. 97 Rock to call up John Volvi to start working on Sabre playoff songs (remeber the ones from the '99 run? I'm not just talking about the cheesy "We're Gonna Win that Cup" but the songs he'd come up with at the end of each round...they were great)

5. Seeing the Sabres have another "Sea of Red" game at HSBC...how's Game 1 of the Eastern Conf. Finals sound?

6. Darcy and Lindy finally getting some credit for all their work.

7. Not being able to afford a scalped ticket and going to watch a game at Dunn Tire Park

8. Beating Ottawa in 3 of our last 4 meetings with them to win the Northeast and getting to raise a banner at the end of the season.

9. Beating Philly in the playoffs again.

10. Growing a playoff beard

My lasting memory of '99 is leaving the two games from the Leafs series that were played here and hearing hundreds (err..maybe it was dozens, but it felt like hundreds) of cars in the parking lot honking "Let's Go Buffalo" on their horns in unison

During game three of that series at HSBC Arena, I had an older Leafs fan behind me. After the first period, the leafs were up 1-0. He was very confident...telling me how the Leafs were gonna come out and bury Buffalo in the second period. Well, final score 6-1 Buffalo. Old man left after the second.

Those two games against the Leafs in the ECF were absolutely amazing. Seeing Torontonians go back home sulking never gets old. That, and the Yankees losing ;)

My lasting memory of '99 is leaving the two games from the Leafs series that were played here and hearing hundreds (err..maybe it was dozens, but it felt like hundreds) of cars in the parking lot honking "Let's Go Buffalo" on their horns in unison

My memory goes back to 1972 - last game of the Montreal series (Montreal clinched in Buffalo) Towards the end of the game the chant started "thank you Sabres" it built up until the old Aud was reverbating with the sound. I still remember the players of both teams looking up into the stands and tapping their sticks on the ice in recognition of the fans appreciation for what the Sabres had accomplsihed in only their third year. It still chokes me up to think about it. I have a feeling that this year's team is going to do something very special.

you grow the playoff beard too... my work is gonna have to deal.. it's tradition.

My memory goes back to 1972 - last game of the Montreal series (Montreal clinched in Buffalo) Towards the end of the game the chant started "thank you Sabres" it built up until the old Aud was reverbating with the sound. I still remember the players of both teams looking up into the stands and tapping their sticks on the ice in recognition of the fans appreciation for what the Sabres had accomplsihed in only their third year. It still chokes me up to think about it. I have a feeling that this year's team is going to do something very special.

man i got a chill reading that.

I was at Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals in Buffalo when the thank you sabres chant started going on.

Man I have so many memories.. Playoffs, I guess the 97 Ottawa Series, game 7, the USA chants. then Plante took that shot and scored and just it was so loud... That leafs game in 99, the 6-1 was just so amazing...

Grant Fuhr's first night in goal (not playoffs) as a Sabre against the Whalers was really loud..

The last game at the Aud was probably the most emotional for me though, besides losing the cup, Patty Skating down waving and stuffing it in the net for one more horn.

Yep, I was there also as a young boy. Memories that last forever..... :D

Archived