No Reason Not to Sit Miller

Dave Dryden

I think the debate on playing/sitting Miller is locked into the conditions surrounding the 2009-2010 season. Last year, Miller was so good and was winning many games literally by himself that sitting him down was tantamount to giving up a possible win. He sits, we throw away 2 points.

This year, Miller mostly has not been "the difference" in winning or losing games. Take him out this year, and it is not an automatic throw away two points. If Miller gives up one soft goal a game, I suspect Enroth, LaLime or even Leggio can match that. I mean any of these guys could give up 3 goals a game as Miller has recently. So why not give it a try and see what happens?

And I don't buy this fatigue s$#@ as the reason for Miller's play being off. He's not been all-world all year--it is not a recent thing where he was great but then got progressivley worse because he got tired. He had a career year last year, and this year he is having a sub-career year. It happens to most athletes-- e.g. Tim Thomas. Maybe it's due to some injury, maybe not, but whatever it is it is. And the team needs to adjust its thinking a bit so as not to ultimately wear him down, when it's not necessary because there likely will not be a big fall-off in goalie play from the current Miller to whoever else plays. Who knows, maybe watching a few games will help Miller refind himself a bit.

from Elliotte Friedman's column:

What happened yesterday in Buffalo is believed to be one indication of why Lindy Ruff has not signed a contract extension with the Sabres. He doesn't have a backup he trusts - hasn't had one in awhile - and, therefore won't rest Ryan Miller.

This year, Miller mostly has not been "the difference" in winning or losing games. Take him out this year, and it is not an automatic throw away two points. If Miller gives up one soft goal a game, I suspect Enroth, LaLime or even Leggio can match that. I mean any of these guys could give up 3 goals a game as Miller has recently. So why not give it a try and see what happens?

And I don't buy this fatigue s$#@ as the reason for Miller's play being off. He's not been all-world all year--it is not a recent thing where he was great but then got progressivley worse because he got tired. He had a career year last year, and this year he is having a sub-career year. It happens to most athletes-- e.g. Tim Thomas. Maybe it's due to some injury, maybe not, but whatever it is it is. And the team needs to adjust its thinking a bit so as not to ultimately wear him down, when it's not necessary because there likely will not be a big fall-off in goalie play from the current Miller to whoever else plays. Who knows, maybe watching a few games will help Miller refind himself a bit.

Hey DD, was up.

If Lindy is the coach I (or HE) would like to think he is then now is the time to find this out. There is no way with the schedule the Sabres have left that he can play Ryan and expect him to have anything left for a playoff push.

If you want to hone your team and potentially make a playoff push it will have to start with a meaningful goalie rotation and defense first system that all your team embraces starting now. If they can do that and go into the playoffs playing that way then you also have a good starting goalie that may have something left for a playoff push.

Anything short of that type of team effort and results you evaluate for the changes you need next year to do better.

I say, Come'on Lindy show us why you won the Jack Adams or maybe you need to part of those changes as well.

Hey DD, was up.

If Lindy is the coach I (or HE) would like to think he is then now is the time to find this out. There is no way with the schedule the Sabres have left that he can play Ryan and expect him to have anything left for a playoff push.

If you want to hone your team and potentially make a playoff push it will have to start with a meaningful goalie rotation and defense first system that all your team embraces starting now. If they can do that and go into the playoffs playing that way then you also have a good starting goalie that may have something left for a playoff push.

Anything short of that type of team effort and results you evaluate for the changes you need next year to do better.

I say, Come'on Lindy show us why you won the Jack Adams or maybe you need to part of those changes as well.

Good points. I am doing well. U?

Good points. I am doing well. U?

Very well. Not spending too much time here and been putting the family first which is also doing well sans the growing pains of children and the madness that brings a parent.

Like everyone else excited for the ownership change and promise of better to come but still not too caught up in that either remembering to enjoy the ride as well. And may I remind you that you actually called that approach to my attention last year good sir.

Glad to see hear your post and I say keep up the good work.

from Elliotte Friedman's column:

What happened yesterday in Buffalo is believed to be one indication of why Lindy Ruff has not signed a contract extension with the Sabres. He doesn't have a backup he trusts - hasn't had one in awhile - and, therefore won't rest Ryan Miller.

Suits me, seeing as Buffalo doesn't have a coach I trust.

Very well. Not spending too much time here and been putting the family first which is also doing well sans the growing pains of children and the madness that brings a parent.

Like everyone else excited for the ownership change and promise of better to come but still not too caught up in that either remembering to enjoy the ride as well. And may I remind you that you actually called that approach to my attention last year good sir.

Glad to see hear your post and I say keep up the good work.

Glad you are doing well!

Archived