You know who else needs to go!?

PASabreFan

He wrote this in the NHL preview:

"The complaint is common throughout Sabreland, echoing from suburban rinks to downtown offices to corner bars."It's the same guys. I mean, really, how in the world do they expect to be champs by trotting out the same players year after year?"

It seems like a fair question. A look at the Buffalo Sabres' roster on the eve of the 2010-11 opener reveals basically the same names as 2007-08, '08-09 and '09-10. If memory serves correctly, those three squads combined for a whopping two playoff victories.

A closer look reveals something else. The names are the same, but the people are totally different."

The premise of John Vogl's story is that the Sabres' core magically "matured" over the course of summer 2010 and finally was ready to blossom like azaleas next spring. Wow. Double wow. Triple wow.

Maybe this doesn't deserve its own thread, but I think the topic of what kind of coverage we fans deserve is important.

I've used the "c" word to talk about what ails the Sabres franchise. Comfort. Top to bottom. In a one-newspaper town, the News seems very comfortable too just dishing out the PR puff pieces.

I've really appreciated Mike Harrington's work so far.

I'm still waiting for someone to do some digging on Lindy's contract status. I asked Bucky Gleason the question in his weekly chat -- twice -- but he wouldn't post it. Either he's embarrassed that he doesn't know the answer, or he's actually working on the story and didn't want to divulge anything.

Its the same with all of these reporters in that they're all afraid to be cutoff from the insider scoop because thats really all that separates them from us.

If by "insider scoop," you mean press pass, you might be right. If they're actually getting inside scoops, we the readers and listeners sure aren't hearing about them.

There are few media members covering the Sabres, so they should grow a set. The Sabres need the exposure and wouldn't start pulling press passes from the News if John Vogl started asking tough but fair questions and stopped writing like he's working for sabres.com.

Sports directors on TV never say a damn word either. I don't get it.

Its the same with all of these reporters in that they're all afraid to be cutoff from the insider scoop because thats really all that separates them from us.

Yeah, exactly, and which group "knows" more about the state of the team? Us or them? I say it's a tie, and we're not spending our day having ###### poured into our tape recorders.

Archived