Logistically - How is ice time dished out?

SDS

Just a logistics question here...

Does a head coach say "20 seconds" or "45 seconds" or "one rush and off" before a line hits the ice? Or is it really just a matter of who is on the ice after stoppages, PP, and PKs?

Just a logistics question here...

Does a head coach say "20 seconds" or "45 seconds" or "one rush and off" before a line hits the ice? Or is it really just a matter of who is on the ice after stoppages, PP, and PKs?

As far as I know, it's about getting match-ups and keeping players fresh. It's generally a given that you want to keep your shift under a minute, especially if your team is playing defense a lot, because that is much more tiring than offense. If a line is dominating in the offensive end then coach will probably let that line stay out a little longer than normal, but as soon as play starts moving the other way you want to change. You'll also see shift times vary if there is a lot of line matching going on, especially when the home team gets the last change during faceoffs. You get caught with the wrong matchup out there and the goal is to clear the zone and get the line you want on the ice. Maybe only a 10 second shift then if you know, or coach is yelling to you, to change.

Most coaches yell for changes though. They do it by feel and hope that their players are in tune with their rhythm. There's a coach in the D1 college circuit that does this weird whistle for changes and I don't think he's the only one that does that.

Just my observations though. I'm no expert.

Archived