[OT] NHL 11

Guest Sloth

Anyone pick up NHL 11 yet? A number of critics have said it's the best hockey game to date. Even though I have bought the last 2 NHL games made, I'm going to buy NHL 11 this evening. Mainly because it's the "best" hockey game to date. Plus, I'd like to have the new rosters, game changes, etc... Anyone know if the slug will be gone in this years game? As a side note, the NHL series is the only one I buy every year. Game on tonight, baby!

Slug jerseys are available in this game, though they aren't the default ones. The new jerseys (away and third) are locked -- in past years they've remained locked until every team's new jersey has been worn in a game, so it'll probably be end of october or mid november before we get them unlocked. But they ARE in the game!

I think the game is the best to date, but that has been the case every year since NHL went to next-gen consoles (ps3/360). They did a really great job with it. It went from an arcade style hockey game in the 90's and early 2000's to a totally realistic, simulation style game once it went to the PS3. Last year (NHL10) was probably the biggest update to the game, adding things like the stick lift, fake shot, better hits, and other stuff I'm forgetting. This year's game tweaks all of that stuff, plus adds in broken sticks (which are petty cool, admittedly) and the awesome Ultimate Hockey Team mode. EDIT: Also RFA/UFA contract rules in this years game -- big news for franchise mode lovers.

It is also the only game I buy every year, though the last two or three I've snagged up Madden as well.

Slug jerseys are available in this game, though they aren't the default ones. The new jerseys (away and third) are locked -- in past years they've remained locked until every team's new jersey has been worn in a game, so it'll probably be end of october or mid november before we get them unlocked. But they ARE in the game!

I think the game is the best to date, but that has been the case every year since NHL went to next-gen consoles (ps3/360). They did a really great job with it. It went from an arcade style hockey game in the 90's and early 2000's to a totally realistic, simulation style game once it went to the PS3. Last year (NHL10) was probably the biggest update to the game, adding things like the stick lift, fake shot, better hits, and other stuff I'm forgetting. This year's game tweaks all of that stuff, plus adds in broken sticks (which are petty cool, admittedly) and the awesome Ultimate Hockey Team mode. EDIT: Also RFA/UFA contract rules in this years game -- big news for franchise mode lovers.

It is also the only game I buy every year, though the last two or three I've snagged up Madden as well.

So the jersey they are using as their away jersey this year as their default away jersey is locked?

Also huge new feature is the addition of the CHL teams to the Be a GM mode. All teams from the WHL QMJHL and OHL are in the game. Also all european leagues are intigrated so most, not all, (no college prospects, no russian prospects) nhl bound prospects are in the game and associated to their teams.

do they include names of the CHL players, or just numbers?

Also huge new feature is the addition of the CHL teams to the Be a GM mode. All teams from the WHL QMJHL and OHL are in the game. Also all european leagues are intigrated so most, not all, (no college prospects, no russian prospects) nhl bound prospects are in the game and associated to their teams.

Did any of you guys redeem the code for NHL 11 online pass? You get the ultimate hockey team, player cards, various online leagues, etc... It's not something you have to pay for, right? To my understanding, you only had to pay for it if the code had already been redeemed. Did I misinterpret that?

Also, the game KICKS ARSS! It bit more difficult than previous years, but that is a good thing. And I love the fact the slug is practically gone. Do you guys think EA will have the Sabres new jersey's on NHL 11? I wouldn't mind playing with the 40th anniversary jersey.

do they include names of the CHL players, or just numbers?

Both pictures and names for CHL players are on NHL 11. In Be a GM Mode, you start the season off playing a CHL prospect game. I was than given a list of players to consider drafting. I'm not going to pay much attention to the European league. Kind of going w/ Darcy on this one.

One setback, occurs w/ every sports game, are the lineups given at the beginning of the game. Torres and Kennedy are still on the team. I'm sure there are a few other players not belonging...I just didn't get a chance to take a look at the Sabres lineup. Something that impressed me though was where EA Sports put Tyler Ennis. On the preset lines, Ennis was on the first line. This is something I'm hoping the Sabres actually do in real life. EA also had Stafford on the 4th line. He doesn't belong there, but I wouldn't mind Stafford being on the 3rd line. Stafford doesn't should not be a top 6 forward.

One setback, occurs w/ every sports game, are the lineups given at the beginning of the game. Torres and Kennedy are still on the team. I'm sure there are a few other players not belonging...I just didn't get a chance to take a look at the Sabres lineup. Something that impressed me though was where EA Sports put Tyler Ennis. On the preset lines, Ennis was on the first line. This is something I'm hoping the Sabres actually do in real life. EA also had Stafford on the 4th line. He doesn't belong there, but I wouldn't mind Stafford being on the 3rd line. Stafford doesn't should not be a top 6 forward.

Do they have Ennis as a left winger now? I tried to Be A Pro with him in NHL10, but he was listed as a center and always slotted there in the lineup. I even changed the default lineup for the Sabres to have him at the left wing, but it still put him at center in BAP.

So far an incremental improvement over last year. I have gotten the game every year since 1991 on the original Sega Genesis. Wow. I spent a lot of money on this game. Definitely keeps getting better and better every year with I think has alot to do with David Littman being the man the last few years. Now that he's been put on NBA I'm hoping that it will continue to improve. The one thing I'm still hoping could use work is the dump in. I'm not sure if it's me but my forwards can be a little stupid sometimes and gets frustrating. But, overall, the hits, the broken sticks, etc. are much cool improvements. I'm still trying to determine if they've fixed the cheats in the game or not. Have to play my bro more. But, pretty much one of the few that I spend money on.

Did any of you guys redeem the code for NHL 11 online pass? You get the ultimate hockey team, player cards, various online leagues, etc... It's not something you have to pay for, right? To my understanding, you only had to pay for it if the code had already been redeemed. Did I misinterpret that?

Also, the game KICKS ARSS! It bit more difficult than previous years, but that is a good thing. And I love the fact the slug is practically gone. Do you guys think EA will have the Sabres new jersey's on NHL 11? I wouldn't mind playing with the 40th anniversary jersey.

The online pass is free if you bought the game new. It just allows you access to all the online features of the game. (Ultimate Team is awesome!) I guess it's there so if someone buys a pre-owned copy of a game they'll have to pay an extra $10 to play online. And yes, as mentioned earlier, the game has the new Sabres jerseys in it. They are just locked.

Both pictures and names for CHL players are on NHL 11. In Be a GM Mode, you start the season off playing a CHL prospect game. I was than given a list of players to consider drafting. I'm not going to pay much attention to the European league. Kind of going w/ Darcy on this one.

Roster updates were out the day the game released that have the current rosters, one exception being that Gerbe is on the roster instead of Mccormick/Ellis.

Archived