Sabres "Needs" per ESPN

ntjacks79

I don't agree with this at all, personally, but I thought it was interesting...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plugging Holes - Buffalo Sabres

The Hole: A No. 2 defenseman

The Sabres had a successful year, with goaltender Ryan Miller establishing himself as one of the best goaltenders in the NHL (if not the best) and leading the way to a Northeast-leading 100 points. Despite a disappointing first-round loss to the Boston Bruins, the Sabres showed they had a good, balanced team with no glaring weaknesses. They have a group of good (if small) forwards in Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, Tim Connolly and Jochen Hecht, who combined for 55 goals versus threshold (GVT). However, with Toni Lydman and Henrik Tallinder both on the market as unrestricted free agents, the Sabres may need to bolster their blue line. Tyler Myers was a revelation last season and is clearly the No. 1 defenseman of the future, but the Sabres could use another solid presence on the blue line.

The Fix: Sign D Paul Martin from the New Jersey Devils

Martin had a forgettable year last season as injuries limited him to 22 regular-season games, but in 2008-09 he had the 33rd-highest GVT among NHL defensemen (9.5). Martin is excellent both on the power play and on the penalty kill and can play 23-24 minutes a night. Having Martin and Myers would give the Sabres one of the best defensive tandems in the Eastern Conference, one that can shut down the elite lines of the Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers. The Sabres should also aim to re-sign either Tallinder or Lydman to consolidate their defensive corps.

E.J.'s Take: If Paul Martin hits the open market (the Devils have been public about their desire to keep him), there will be many suitors. The Sabres would be wise to be among them. However, I have to wonder if they'd be able to outbid and out-woo their competitors. In the past, Buffalo hasn't been a landing spot for high-end free agents. Unless Martin has a particular reason to join the Sabres or the club breaks the bank, I don't see him making that move.

GM Darcy Regier might have more success going after second-tier defensemen like Jordan Leopold, Shaone Morrisonn or Paul Mara to fill some possible vacancies on his blue line.

I would say that this is their second-biggest need. First is that always-elusive #1 center.

I agree with you. But to ignore the offense completely is where this piece lost me. The Sabres have made much progress, but I would currently group their 12 forwards on top-4 lines toward the bottom of the NHL, particularly the 1st 6 (top 2 lines).

I agree with you. But to ignore the offense completely is where this piece lost me. The Sabres have made much progress, but I would currently group their 12 forwards on top-4 lines toward the bottom of the NHL, particularly the 1st 6 (top 2 lines).

It's sad that we are trying so hard determine the biggest need, knowing that management couldn't possibly make two needed moves in one off season. I have to agree though, I think finding that one "top center" or even forward for that matter, that can make plays and be a leader on these team (for example, a Joe Thorton) is the number one need right now. A good 2nd D-man also wouldn't hurt, but then again a solid, reliable back up goalie wouldn't either.

Archived