One key to the Sabres' success this season

NowDoYouBelieve

I'm not sure I want to point to injuries or lack of as a reason for where the Sabres are right now. Except for Connolly's point streak I don't think any of the forwards on the top two lines have distinguished themselves this season in any way. The key is a hot goaltender in a Conference that is having a down year. With Miller the Sabres may very well have the second best team in the East. Or at least the team with the second best chance to make it the Cup Finals. The Pens have not been impressive as of late. I think the Devils are going to end up winning that division. Which would make for a interesting Pens vs Sens first round match-up.

Another key to a Sabres playoff run is the question "Is Marty Brodeur ready for a run at the Cup?" The Devils pushed all their chips into the middle and have bet "yes" by trading for Kovalchuk. If Kovi can spark the Devils 14th ranked power-play in the playoffs the Devils maybe as big a hurdle to get over as Washington is.

Ryan Miller should be able to beat which ever team finishes 6th, 7th or 8th (given Ottawa takes 5th). Baring any upsets the second round will be a huge task. Especially if it turns out to be Jersey.

I'm not sure I want to point to injuries or lack of as a reason for where the Sabres are right now. Except for Connolly's point streak I don't think any of the forwards on the top two lines have distinguished themselves this season in any way. The key is a hot goaltender in a Conference that is having a down year. With Miller the Sabres may very well have the second best team in the East. Or at least the team with the second best chance to make it the Cup Finals. The Pens have not been impressive as of late. I think the Devils are going to end up winning that division. Which would make for a interesting Pens vs Sens first round match-up.

Another key to a Sabres playoff run is the question "Is Marty Brodeur ready for a run at the Cup?" The Devils pushed all their chips into the middle and have bet "yes" by trading for Kovalchuk. If Kovi can spark the Devils 14th ranked power-play in the playoffs the Devils maybe as big a hurdle to get over as Washington is.

Ryan Miller should be able to beat which ever team finishes 6th, 7th or 8th (given Ottawa takes 5th). Baring any upsets the second round will be a huge task. Especially if it turns out to be Jersey.

I agree with most of this except that I think the sabres have a better chance of bearing NJ in the 2nd round than they do of beating Pitt.

Archived