1999 Stanley Cup Series

darksabre

Bear with me, I was 12 during these playoffs and we didn't have cable so I didn't get to watch them. I feel like I'm seeing them for the first time despite having listened adamantly on the radio.

A few thoughts:

After losing game three at home, a goateed Lindy Ruff states during his presser that "our goal scorers aren't scoring right now and it's hurting us". Boy does that sound familiar.

Hasek was of course, a miracle man. Facing bucketloads of shots when the Sabres weren't generating any. He comes out and tells the players to hang him out to try by going for it on offense and that he would make big saves if they scored for him. Another goaltender spouting leadership and challenging his team.

Game 4, Dallas 30 shots, Buffalo 18 shots. But at least they tied the series.

Big goals by role players Stu Barnes, Dixon Ward and Geoff Sanderson. Where are Mike Peca and Satan? Not scoring, but they were fighting and hitting.

HUGE hits and sticking up for Hasek when he gets run. Wait, that doesn't sound right. What are "hits"?

The refs had their whistles away for anything that wasn't a crosscheck to the face.

Rhett Warraner fights Hatcher at the end of game 5. Buffalo outshoots Dallas but loses (and a shutout nonetheless). Sounds familiar.

So really, what's the difference between this current team, and the 99 Stanley Cup Finals team?

A complete lack of physical play and heart. That's what.

Archived