[OT] Centralia, PA

LabattBlue

this thing has been burning for how many decades and we're going to find a solution here on the sabres message board? :rolleyes:

i've driven through there many times. it's very creepy and steamy and stinky. but i don't have much sympathy left for the people holding out. its sad and tragic that a town died, but at some point common sense ought to take over. it's not as though they'd have to leave the area.

I wasn't trying to find a solution for it. I was trying to figure out how to profit from it.

this thing has been burning for how many decades and we're going to find a solution here on the sabres message board? :rolleyes:

i've driven through there many times. it's very creepy and steamy and stinky. but i don't have much sympathy left for the people holding out. its sad and tragic that a town died, but at some point common sense ought to take over. it's not as though they'd have to leave the area.

I agree with you on all these points.

I hate playing devil's advocate (no pun intended), but I want to throw this out at you guys: Could it be that part of the reason they're staying is that they can't sell their homes because they have no property value? I can't think of them trying to put their houses on the market, knowing that no one would want to be living on top of a perpetual underground inferno.

Kinda reminds me of when the Akzo Nobel salt mines near Geneseo (around Piffard?) started to have an underground flood. Then the water got into the drinking supply, which turned it into salt water. From what a pastor friend of mine told me years ago, property values went through the abyss because of that.

Archived