# of games suspended  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be

• 1 or 2?
    • 2-5 games
    • 5 plus?
    • as many as he is out injured
    • none

...Regardless if he was going to miss the games due to injury or not?

I have tickets to the game on wenesday, and i going to be really pissed if OV isn't going to be there.

I dont think there should of been a suspension on the play, but given Alex's "record", i understand why one was merited. I think 2 games is good, you dont want that starpower in the box for 5 to 10 games. I'm thinking of this suspension as more of a last warning for Ovechkin, rather than a solid disiplinary action. Almost as if to say, "Watch yourself outthere or next time its 5 games".

Moreover i think people should stop arguing about the short length of the suspension. Ovechkin does play the game with a touch of "Reckless Abandon". But isn't that what hockey's all about? He might or might not of ran Gleason, but so what? At least he finished the play. At least he brings an edge. Who wants a league full of superstars like Crosby? Let the man play. OV has already stated he's not tuning it down after this incident, and good for him. Hes a damn machine, the league needs more players that posess the intensity of Alex the great.

Really? Have you ever watched "Slapshot"? Those guys played with "reckless abandon" too. (Yeah, I know it's a movie, but I'm trying to make a point). There is a limit - with the size and speed of players today (and all of that body armor they wear), they could literally cripple or kill someone if they hit them the right (or wrong) way. Hey, I like to see a good, clean body check just like anyone else but I also want both players get up and continue playing.

You say OV plays on the edge - well, if you get too close to the edge, sometimes you fall off. This time his "reckless abandon" backfired. He apparently hasn't learned anything if he says he won't change the way he plays. Sooner or later, someone (like an Avery or a Neil) will tee off on him and put him in a wheelchair OR he'll miss a body check and slam himself into the boards and do the same. I don't want to see that. He is a super-talented guy, but he plays like an a$$h@le. I'll take a Stevie Y over Ovie any day of the week....

IIRC, the league had planned on making Timmy serve the last 2 games of his suspension after his 1st season long concussion recovery, but then when the league scrapped the '04-'05 season they dropped the suspension as well.

Too busy to look up details of how/why he was allowed to play in the opener in '05, but he did play in that game. I believe it was a case of the league deciding that missing 2 full years of NHL hockey was enough.

So, based on the league's plans to enforce Timmy's suspension had they not locked the players out, Ovie's suspension should kick in when he's cleared to play but the league seems to make up the rules as it goes along.

They sure do give that impression, and many die-hard hockey fans know this.

I can't remember when SwampD said it, but I know that it was in a recent post where you might as well have echoed his sentiments.

BTW, for both of you (and every other member of the board), there's this one guy over at FlyersPhans.com who made an avatar where the "NHL" in the league's logo was changed to "LOL" under the same format. I don't know about you guys, but it seems to be apropos.

Archived