Has Lindy been line matching???

LabattBlue

Ever since the two runs to the conference finals, I have been whining about needing a more traditional lineup of 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line and 1 agitator line. I think there is enough talent for two scoring lines(whether they choose to play motivated is a thread for another day) and they definitely have the guys for a good 4th(agitator) line. What I am wondering about is the 3rd line. You know that there isn't going to be much offense coming from the checking line currently comprised of Hecht-Kennedy-Grier. Knowing this, is Lindy using them to match up against the other teams top line? If not, I don't know if I have much use for this combo and would like to see more offense on the 3rd line. The problem is, where is more offense going to come from if not for a trade? Gerbe or Ennis?

Ever since the two runs to the conference finals, I have been whining about needing a more traditional lineup of 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line and 1 agitator line. I think there is enough talent for two scoring lines(whether they choose to play motivated is a thread for another day) and they definitely have the guys for a good 4th(agitator) line. What I am wondering about is the 3rd line. You know that there isn't going to be much offense coming from the checking line currently comprised of Hecht-Kennedy-Grier. Knowing this, is Lindy using them to match up against the other teams top line? If not, I don't know if I have much use for this combo and would like to see more offense on the 3rd line. The problem is, where is more offense going to come from if not for a trade? Gerbe or Ennis?

I haven't noticed that they have been matching lines, but they have been successful at doing this:

Hecht-Kennedy-Grier Throw it on net to draw the faceoff in the O-Zone

Ellis-Gaustad-Kaleta Take the ice on the stoppage and win the draw...

They basically erase two lines of the opponent...make them go 200 feet...and tie them up with a pinching D.

I'm not going to knock it.

I like the third line as it is right now and feel that they put in the most effort night in and night out. In fact sometimes I like them better than our top two lines. They play very well together and have gotten a lot of chances.

Don't know how much of a difference this makes to anyone here, but here are the scoring numbers by line:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford: 14 points Total

MacArthur-Connolly-Pominville: 17 points Total

Hecht-Kennedy-Grier: 6 points Total

Ellis-Gaustad-Kaleta: 10 points Total

Keep in mind that these numbers are total points and do not account for different line combinations associated with the Power Play, Penalty Kill, and partial line changes as sometimes guys are scoring goals in the middle of a line change and the goal is scored not with their usual linemates on the ice. But, using these numbers as a proxy, the trend I am seeing is that the Sabres are getting good contribution from every line and while that third line may not be scoring points, they are not giving up many goals either as Hecht and Grier are even players and Kennedy is a +1. So, I'm happy with the forward combinations, and I think they are pretty effective. I'm very impressed by the "fourth" line as they have proven to be more offensively talented than a typical fourth line and their physical, crash the net style of game has contributed quite a bit offensively to this team. Just my take.

Just for the record, while Kennedy took Gaustad's place between Hecht and Grier after the first game, in the two one-goal games after that, Gaustad was back between them during the final minute. Lindy seems to like the balanced offense and defense of those four lines, but when he really wants to shut a team down, Hecht-Gaustad-Grier still seems to be his go-to line.

Just for the record, while Kennedy took Gaustad's place between Hecht and Grier after the first game, in the two one-goal games after that, Gaustad was back between them during the final minute. Lindy seems to like the balanced offense and defense of those four lines, but when he really wants to shut a team down, Hecht-Gaustad-Grier still seems to be his go-to line.

no doubt ... it's not just the final minute, it's like the last 10 minutes ... at least that is my perception in the close games.

Archived