[OT] Sporting News: "Best Sports City"

tulax

I'm not sure if anyone saw this list of the Best Sports Cities in the country done by "The Sporting News."

http://www.sportingnews.com/general/article/2009-10-06/best-sports-city-list

Sporting News' Best Sports City rankings, which look at the 12 months from roughly October 2008 to October 2009, are based on point values assigned to various categories, including but not limited to won-lost records, postseason appearances, applicable power ratings, number of teams and attendance.

Buffalo is ranked 40th, Syracuse is ranked 90th, Rochester is ranked 267th, Batavia is 287th, and Auburn rounds out the bottom at 399th. As the number 1 ranked city its a tribute to Pittsburgh that they aren't completely weighed down by the Pirates. I guess both of the other two major pro franchises would have to win world championships in order to accomplish this feat.

What are the criteria? Friggin' Atlanta is 13th. Half the town doesn't know what Hockey is and the area's four Falcons fans usually just stay home. It's obviously not based on passionate fans? A dollars thing perhaps?

Well Atlanta gets extra points for having all four major sports teams in the city, Falcons, Thrashers, Braves, and Hawks. They also have some decent college sports there, Ga. Tech for one. overall Win Loss record also has a lot to do with it... the Braves were in the top 2-3 teams in baseball for a long time during the 90's and have several WS appearances... all this nonsense pumps them up. If you read the article, Pittsburgh got points for Robert Morris University and Duquesne making the NIT... it's kind of a silly list and I don't think rates the passionate fans at all.

The sporting news still exists?

So, I finally have something to contribute to the complaint thursday thread and when I find it the damn thing is locked. Whoever the mod is that did that you suck.

Archived