How many new skaters will the Sabres bring in this offseason?

nfreeman

How many FNGs?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. We all want "hope", "change", etc. Are these just empty words? Will the Sabres do more than promote from within? Or will they add real new blood, from outside the organization, to the top 12 forwards and/or top 6 defensemen? If so, how many total new players will be in the lineup in October?

• more than 4

I am actually surprised at the number of people here who put 2. I didn't expect that much optimism from this board.

You're all in denial. :thumbsup:

Actually this is a terrific year for a Darcy type of GM.....There are lots of teams near the cap and

this is an exceptional year for value in the UFA market. Last year the only D-man was Campbell -

I think he would be looking at less than 5 mil if he was in this Market.... anyway.....lots of value here..

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2009-nhl-unr...ts-by-position/

Actually this is a terrific year for a Darcy type of GM.....There are lots of teams near the cap and

this is an exceptional year for value in the UFA market. Last year the only D-man was Campbell -

I think he would be looking at less than 5 mil if he was in this Market.... anyway.....lots of value here..

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2009-nhl-unr...ts-by-position/

How did I miss Franzen signing a 4 year deal with Detroit?

How did I miss Franzen signing a 4 year deal with Detroit?

I'm assuming you mean the first four years are the only one's that count because he actually signed an 11 year deal with Detroit. The guys 29 years old so good until 33 and traded? buyout? Seems the guy's just getting good, especially in the playoffs, over a point per game the last tow years.

I'm assuming you mean the first four years are the only one's that count because he actually signed an 11 year deal with Detroit. The guys 29 years old so good until 33 and traded? buyout? Seems the guy's just getting good, especially in the playoffs, over a point per game the last tow years.

I have no clue why I said 4 year. I meant 11. I can't believe I never heard about that one. I have no idea why I said 4. Looking at the contract, it has 8 years before the buyout becomes a serious option.

I have no clue why I said 4 year. I meant 11. I can't believe I never heard about that one. I have no idea why I said 4. Looking at the contract, it has 8 years before the buyout becomes a serious option.

It seems like more and more these guys are taking those long deals to get the up front cash. Looking at the numbers it's only 6 guys so far. But with Sedins looking for a 12 year deal, I'm sure they'll be more.

What some of the guys don't realize is that taking that money more upfront, and then having to give back close to 20-25% of it in these "lean" years screws them over. OV's the only one still getting his 10 million at the end.

It seems like more and more these guys are taking those long deals to get the up front cash. Looking at the numbers it's only 6 guys so far. But with Sedins looking for a 12 year deal, I'm sure they'll be more.

What some of the guys don't realize is that taking that money more upfront, and then having to give back close to 20-25% of it in these "lean" years screws them over. OV's the only one still getting his 10 million at the end.

It doesn't screw them over at all. They're still getting as much money over that time period as they would've if they were to sign two separate contracts over that time. The deals make so much sense for both the players and the teams.

It's interesting that you bring up Ovechkin. It's all about their age. Ovechkin's deal expires when he's 35. He's past his prime, but still an elite hockey player at that point. Franzen and Zetterberg are 37-38 when the money starts to drop off in their deals and 40 when they expire. They're still making the same money they are now when they're 35, just like Ovechkin is.

These lifetime contracts are a bit of a scary thing though. I wonder how many DiPietro like screwups it is going to take before they die off. Also, is it more of a statement of the mindset of Pittsburgh or of Malkin-Crosby that they both have 5 year deals as opposed to these lifetime deals?

well, for all of Quinn's postulating that both he (ofcourse) and the current GM/ Coaching staff are not the problem, this falls squarely on the players at this point.

Max is gone, Teppo will probably retire or wash out, Tallinder will probably be traded, who knows how they hang on to Paetsch, I am unaware of the contract situations with Ellis and Mair, and boy do I hope that they dump Peters and his waaaaay overpaid salary. And will Lalime's surgically repaired hip hold up?

So, I would say that there have got to be about 4-5 spots available heading into next season.

They are plain 'ol not good enough, and certainly not tough enough to go deep into the playoffs. Rivet spoke openly about the need for an identity last season, but we saw none of it. They were a team without an identity. Not good if you want to get to the playoffs.

No, I think that they will probably bounce 2-3 guys up from Portland, and bring in 2-3 guys from outside the organization.

I mean, they HAVE to do something. They will be punching bags if they settle for the status quo...

Archived