UPDATE: Kaleta To Return Against Thrashers

sabreskings3623

KALETA BACK IN ACTION; WILL RETURN AGAINST THRASHERS

Pat Kaleta was back at practice Tuesday afternoon.

Patrick Lalime was not.

Head Coach Lindy Ruff said the netminder had a “hip situation” that kept him off the ice and will be reevaluated tomorrow.

Kaleta, however, is expected to be in the lineup Wednesday night in Atlanta after being free of symptoms for the last two days.

Montreal doctors first reported that the winger suffered a concussion Saturday night following a controversial hit from behind by Canadiens’ Maxim Lapierre. Ruff said Tuesday he was unsure what the real diagnosis was.

“It’s in that gray area,” Ruff said, addressing whether or not the injury was a concussion. “As long as he’s had a good day he’s cleared to play.”

http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...rticleid=416076

Awesome news. I'm glad Patty isn't going to miss anytime. Also, EJ Hradek stated in an espn.com chat that he thinks Maxim Lapierre should've been suspended for the hit on Kaleta, and that he believes the league has a double-standard, when it comes to hits from behind and injuries/suspensions.

Adam (Lake George, NY): EJ, do you think that if Sidney Crosby was blatantly hit from behind by Maxim Lapierre, that Maxim would be suspended? If so, why was he not suspended for doing the very same thing to Patrick Kaleta the other night?

EJ Hradek: (3:11 PM ET ) Yes, he would be. I guess you're asking me, is there a double-standard when it comes to who is involved in these types of plays? I think the answer is yes, there probably is to a certain degree. Patrick Kaleta is also a guy whose play has bordered on dirty in his short time in the league, and there may be some who feel that this is a case of a guy getting almost what he deserves. That said, we don't want to see guys getting run from behind in this league. It is something the powers-that-be need to take a long look at for a lot of reasons.

That is total f**king bulls***. This league is an absolute joke. And while it angers me that Hradek chose to go the "Kaleta makes borderline dirty hits" route, I agree with what he said about the double-standard.

Oh there is obviously a double standard in the bush league NHL for plays like this. The game is run by total ass clowns that baby the stars beyond belief.

I think Kaleta may be a little pissed come Wed night. Don't know if I would want to be wearing a Thrashers jersey.

Oh there is obviously a double standard in the bush league NHL for plays like this. The game is run by total ass clowns that baby the stars beyond belief.

Like every other pro sports league, unfortunately. It wouldn't be different if it were the NFL (there's a new "Brady Rule" for 2009 that could have been a "Losman Rule" for 2008), MLB (would anyone other than Clemens have gotten away with throwing a bat at Piazza?), or the NBA (which I think still exists, and when I watch it every few years, seems to allow traveling by certain stars and penalize blocking by certain "bad boys" like Rodman).

The better teams and better players always will get the calls. We can bitch now, but remember the playoff series against Philly in '06?

Like every other pro sports league, unfortunately. It wouldn't be different if it were the NFL (there's a new "Brady Rule" for 2009 that could have been a "Losman Rule" for 2008), MLB (would anyone other than Clemens have gotten away with throwing a bat at Piazza?), or the NBA (which I think still exists, and when I watch it every few years, seems to allow traveling by certain stars and penalize blocking by certain "bad boys" like Rodman).

The better teams and better players always will get the calls. We can bitch now, but remember the playoff series against Philly in '06?

Or game 6 against Dallas? :cry:

And that new Brady rule is complete horse poopie!

That is total f**king bulls***. This league is an absolute joke. And while it angers me that Hradek chose to go the "Kaleta makes borderline dirty hits" route, I agree with what he said about the double-standard.

I also wouldn't go so far to say that Kaleta makes "borderline dirty" hits. He's an agitator (in the same category as Sean Avery) who doesn't go looking for fights (a la Peters) and actually can contribute some offense.

But yes, there's a serious double standard. Crosby gets hit like that and the league suspends Lapierre before he leaves the ice. They just want their stars protected so they can still sell the game...just like NBC putting the Penguins, Rangers, Red Wings, and Flyers on every Sunday afternoon game.

Archived