Wood sticks on the PK

bottlecap

That PK the other day was the last straw, where another one of our guys snapped his twig. A 5-4 turns into a 5-3 just like that. Those damn sticks are good for shooting but easy to break. The risk of snapping a stick on the pK is too great. They're not going to shoot anyway. Why don't they just use wood sticks on the PK??

I really like this idea. It wouldn't really require that many extra sticks either. You only need to carry 10 or so of them on the road since they break so infrequently and there is only a handful of guys that play the pk. I also really don't understand the mentality of continuing to play without a stick. Why not skate to the bench and grab a new one. Its not like you are able to do much good killing the penalty without the stick. Quickly skating to the bench would give an actual 5-3 for about 15 seconds, while staying on the ice without a stick give the team an effective 5-3 for an indefinite amount of time. This has just never made any sense to me and drives me nuts.

Something like this is all about statistics. You want to send 4 guys on the ice with a twig they're not used to playing with, because there is a 1 in 100 (maybe) chance that their stick with break on the PK? Sorry, that is retarded.

first I think sticks break more than once per 100 power plays. Second, yes I think if the odds were as low as 1/100 it would still be a good idea. If it prevents one unnecessary 5 on 4.5 per year it would be worth it. Third, there is no reason for the players not to be used to the sticks, you would practice PK with the wooden sticks and use the same type all year. So this is far from a retarded idea.

I'm surprised you guys actually believe that wood sticks are more durable than composite. They're not.

You don't think NHL teams have studied this? Studies have shown that the rates of breakage for modern one-piece composite sticks are comparable or more favorable than sticks made of wood. The ONLY advantage on the durability front that wood sticks have over their composite counterparts is that IF you're paying attention AND you're lucky, you can SOMETIMES tell beforehand if a wooden stick is going to break soon. Composites, when they break, almost always break without warning.

The false perception of poor durability is contributed to by many factors: high price of replacing composite sticks (wood is more durable PER DOLLAR), the lighter weight (ignorant people think "lighter weight" inherently means "not as strong"), the legacy of poor durability from older ABS plastic and fiberglass sticks, the suddenness and often surprising breakage of composite sticks, and crotchety old man syndrome (I don't like change - give me my good old wood stick I've used for decades and get off my lawn).

I'd rather take a small chance on having a stick break during a PK and having to wait for a whistle, player to get to the bench, or penalty to expire than to #%^$#! around with changing sticks mid-game or (#%^$#! this) mid-shift for the PK.

You can run your armchair NHL special teams the way you want, but I'll let my guys use the higher quality performance equipment they're used to.

first I think sticks break more than once per 100 power plays. Second, yes I think if the odds were as low as 1/100 it would still be a good idea. If it prevents one unnecessary 5 on 4.5 per year it would be worth it. Third, there is no reason for the players not to be used to the sticks, you would practice PK with the wooden sticks and use the same type all year. So this is far from a retarded idea.

Really?

How many times over the course of a season did a PK stick break?

How many times, when the stick was broken, did it result in a goal?

Then you'll need to take into account that wooden sticks break as well.

Also you want to force a guy to play with a twig he is not comfortable with during a crucial moment of the game.

Like I said, this is retarded.

Archived