Anyone going to the Sabres game in Phoenix?

Tony P

Time to notch another sporting venue and the Missus and I are going to go to PHX for the Sabres game next Saturday. Is anyone else on the board going to the game? Any get-togethers planned?

Last time we were in Phoenix was way back when, when the Bills' were kicking butt and there were thousands of fans at the ASU stadium in Tempe "before the turn of the century" (I've always wanted to say that!).

Anyhow, we'd love to meet up with some fellow Sabres fans if something is going on.

Also, since it's been so long since we've been there, any tips on places to hang out (like Scottsdale) or must sees is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tony.

Time to notch another sporting venue and the Missus and I are going to go to PHX for the Sabres game next Saturday. Is anyone else on the board going to the game? Any get-togethers planned?

Last time we were in Phoenix was way back when, when the Bills' were kicking butt and there were thousands of fans at the ASU stadium in Tempe "before the turn of the century" (I've always wanted to say that!).

Anyhow, we'd love to meet up with some fellow Sabres fans if something is going on.

Also, since it's been so long since we've been there, any tips on places to hang out (like Scottsdale) or must sees is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tony.

Hey Tony! I am going to the game. I moved out here last spring so can't be much help as far as good places to hang out because I haven't had the chance to get out much in that regard.

I will say that the area around the arena offers a lot of atmosphere and plenty of places to eat, have cocktails before the game. It's called Westgate and the main gate for the arena is in the plaza area with surrounding restaurants, bars, etc. I'm not familiar with Scottsdale much at all.

The arena is in Glendale right off loop 101, very easy to get to and on the west side of the city. If you are staying in Scottsdale it should take 1/2 hour 40 minutes to get there depending on where you are staying there and traffic, which shouldn't be too bad on a Saturday. I am in Glendale right off 101 and it takes me about 10 minutes.

I can ask around at work for a couple of suggestions and post again when I find out more info.

How far is the arena from Cooper's Town?

PTR

Assuming you are talking about the bar/restaurant downtown, you will want to take I-10 west to 101, probably 1/2 to 45 minutes again depending on traffic. I-10 can be a madhouse any day of the week, especially downtown. A good rule of thumb that I use is to double whatever the mileage is if you a mapquest type deal to get the number of minutes it will take you. I use this anytime I am traveling within the Phoenix metro area and it works out really close almost all the time.

I-17 and I-10 are always more congested, particularly where the two meet (which is right near Cooper's Town). Even going to the airport a couple times on a Saturday or Sunday (taking I-10) I have run into really thick traffic in that area. Hope that helps.

Geesh, maybe you should read the posts, apparently there are a few people who are going to the game out here.

Couple of us for sure. And due to my addiction to all things involving Buffalo sports, the Center Ice pkg. makes televised games the norm. Seeing the team in person is a far different matter.

So cilevel, if you are planning on catching a bite or enjoying a beverage or 3 before the game (and interested in trying to meet-up), let me know where you'll be going and we'll do what we can to make it there. :thumbsup:

Tony.

Couple of us for sure. And due to my addiction to all things involving Buffalo sports, the Center Ice pkg. makes televised games the norm. Seeing the team in person is a far different matter.

So cilevel, if you are planning on catching a bite or enjoying a beverage or 3 before the game (and interested in trying to meet-up), let me know where you'll be going and we'll do what we can to make it there. :thumbsup:

Tony.

I sent you a message and will keep you posted.

Attempt at humor/ sarcasm/ ....never mind!

(I had just found out they were going to carry the games here and I knew you guys were going to the game)

Geesh!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, at least you recognized it as an "attempt" :lol: :lol: :lol:

We went to the see the Sabres in Phoenix last season - lots of Buffalo fans. Didn't seem to be much out by the stadium - it's way over on the west side of town and lots of new construction going on so kind of in the middle of a sea of asphalt.

Best place to hang out we saw was down by ASU - one whole street of bars & restaurants. Scottsdale was a nice area to stay in but overpriced - especially the restaurants.

Enjoy the game!

I'm going with a group from work and will be in the nose-bleed section. Lower the better is the way to go.

There are a ton of restaurants around the arena now and some around the area. They are usually pretty packed on game nights. Two or more in a car and take the carpool lane on the I-10 to the 101N.

Driving from downtown usually takes me 30 minutes to the arena.

Attempt at humor/ sarcasm/ ....never mind!

(I had just found out they were going to carry the games here and I knew you guys were going to the game)

Geesh!

I didn't mean to sound quite like it read either, which happens sometimes in writing.

Anyway, there should be plenty of Sabre fans in the house - last year you could hear the "let's go buf-fa-lo" chants on the broadcast. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Tony.

Sent you some info. I'm thinking Shout House, 2nd floor of Westgate, right across from the maingate but there are other choices. Let me know.

Westgate City Center is a complex of mall stores and restaurants by Jobing.com Arena.

Interactive Map here:

http://www.westgateaz.com/explore_westgate.php

Thanks for the link! We'll be at Shout House for anyone interested, 2nd level right next to the main gate. Should be a lot of Sabre fans at the game and here's hoping for a good one!!

Archived