Keith blames himself for hit

carpandean

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hocke...0,5469731.story

"It's a tough play," Keith said. "[stafford] came in, and if he was going to hit me, that's all he could have done. I made a bad play. He didn't let up; I don't know if I would have let up. I'm not going to blame him at all.

"Nobody likes to get hit hard and get plowed over like that. I should have just come down and shot ? and [not] have tried to cut in there and make that move."

Media made way too much out of that in my opinion, seems they make a big deal out of clean hits and ignore the bullpoop that goes on nightly.

To top it off, the refs are allowing so much grabbing and interference the game is getting harder to watch. Combine that with their inability to address the actual dirty stuff that does go on and left unaddressed the league is setting themselves up another drop in NHL popularity.

One of the recent games I was watching I actually saw an opposing forward skate in front/along side of a forward in their defensive zone, leaning against him the whole time and keeping him from challenging the guy on the point with the puck. It was blatent, and I thought that was supposed to be interfence (impeding a player's ability to pursue/challenge for the puck). Made me really disgusted with what they are letting go.

Media made way too much out of that in my opinion, seems they make a big deal out of clean hits and ignore the bullpoop that goes on nightly.

To top it off, the refs are allowing so much grabbing and interference the game is getting harder to watch. Combine that with their inability to address the actual dirty stuff that does go on and left unaddressed the league is setting themselves up another drop in NHL popularity.

One of the recent games I was watching I actually saw an opposing forward skate in front/along side of a forward in their defensive zone, leaning against him the whole time and keeping him from challenging the guy on the point with the puck. It was blatent, and I thought that was supposed to be interfence (impeding a player's ability to pursue/challenge for the puck). Made me really disgusted with what they are letting go.

This has been annoying me to no end recently. Since when was it legal for a defenseman to check a player who dumps the puck into the zone and is chasing after the puck and preventing him from getting to the puck? From all indications, that is a classic example of an interference penalty. But, that has now become a common play and defenseman are allowed to do it all the time. In 2003-2004, that used to be called obstruction, after the lockout, that was called an interference penalty, and now it is not called at all. Why has this now become acceptable again? In fairness, Buffalo defenseman are guilty of doing this as well, especially Hank and Toni, but nonetheless, it's supposed to be a penalty and it's no longer getting called and it frustrates me to no end.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm glad Keith doesn't hold any ill will towards Stafford. What's Stafford supposed to do? Not hit the guy with the puck? The result is unfortunate, but Stafford has to make that hit to prevent that scoring chance otherwise Chicago gets a great scoring chance on the play, and the hit was clean.

This has been annoying me to no end recently. Since when was it legal for a defenseman to check a player who dumps the puck into the zone and is chasing after the puck and preventing him from getting to the puck? From all indications, that is a classic example of an interference penalty. But, that has now become a common play and defenseman are allowed to do it all the time. In 2003-2004, that used to be called obstruction, after the lockout, that was called an interference penalty, and now it is not called at all. Why has this now become acceptable again? In fairness, Buffalo defenseman are guilty of doing this as well, especially Hank and Toni, but nonetheless, it's supposed to be a penalty and it's no longer getting called and it frustrates me to no end.

I have no clue why the league suddenly did away with EVERY interference call, except the odd goaltender interference.

It's been getting worse and worse ever since the 06 playoffs, but the Red Wings game was particularly obvious. It appears the interference rule is just gone. I can't remember the last time I saw a clear cut interference whistled?

But by all means NHL, please keep calling all the ridiculous minimal stick infractions, we wouldn't want any of the stuff that makes hockey just about as fun to watch a paint drying called, or god forbid - some of the really dirty stuff.

I have to admit though, I've been calling for the Sabres to interfere more with opposing forwards, cause if everyone else does it and it's not a penalty anymore, what choice do they have?

I have no clue why the league suddenly did away with EVERY interference call, except the odd goaltender interference.

It's been getting worse and worse ever since the 06 playoffs, but the Red Wings game was particularly obvious. It appears the interference rule is just gone. I can't remember the last time I saw a clear cut interference whistled?

But by all means NHL, please keep calling all the ridiculous minimal stick infractions, we wouldn't want any of the stuff that makes hockey just about as fun to watch a paint drying called, or god forbid - some of the really dirty stuff.

I have to admit though, I've been calling for the Sabres to interfere more with opposing forwards, cause if everyone else does it and it's not a penalty anymore, what choice do they have?

Like ... why is it a penalty now to hit a person's stick with your own. If you feel someone hit your stick, you drop it and the other player is called for slashing. Man up, sissies, ... slashing is when you hit someONE with your stick, not their stick.

Like ... why is it a penalty now to hit a person's stick with your own. If you feel someone hit your stick, you drop it and the other player is called for slashing. Man up, sissies, ... slashing is when you hit someONE with your stick, not their stick.

61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player or goalkeeper swinging his

stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive

stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be

penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on

an opponent?s body, the opponent?s stick, or on or near the

opponent?s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an

attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

NHL Rulebook

Archived