Dion Phaneuf vs. Thomas Vanek

LabattBlue

I am always looking for the Sabres to take a physical defenseman in the 1st round of a draft. The year the Sabres drafted Vanek, Calgary took Dion Phaneuf a couple of picks later. I really liked what I had read about Phaneuf prior to the draft and was hoping the Sabres would take him.

That being said, knowing what you know about the two players as of today, would you rather have Phaneuf or Vanek? Even though I like Vanek(his floating at times is very "Satan-like"), Phaneuf looks like he is going to be something really special on the blue line for a long long time.

I'd stick with my initial thoughts prior to that draft and say give me Phaneuf any day of the week.

Although in the long run, Phaneuf may well turn out to be the more valuable player, and I tend to put more value on D-men than forwards, I would have been very unhappy with the Sabres at the time for not drafting Vanek.

The one thing the Sabres had not drafted for in forever (at least since the criminals took over) was a true stud offensive player in the top rounds (and more specifically 1st round). A true sniper that can score in the clutch that other teams are afraid of in the clutch is something the Sabres haven't had since the Lafontaine / Mogilny days. (Miro didn't truly fit that billing in my mind although I am certain some will have a different opinion.)

Because, in my mind, it was truly a break with the criminals' philosophy and hopefully the Sabres would not be drafting that highly again for a long time, I preferred in this instance them selecting who they did.

I am always looking for the Sabres to take a physical defenseman in the 1st round of a draft. The year the Sabres drafted Vanek, Calgary took Dion Phaneuf a couple of picks later. I really liked what I had read about Phaneuf prior to the draft and was hoping the Sabres would take him.

That being said, knowing what you know about the two players as of today, would you rather have Phaneuf or Vanek? Even though I like Vanek(his floating at times is very "Satan-like"), Phaneuf looks like he is going to be something really special on the blue line for a long long time.

I'd stick with my initial thoughts prior to that draft and say give me Phaneuf any day of the week.

Way too early.

Give Vanek time to finish adjusting to the NHL. In three years ask this question again.

Way too early.

Give Vanek time to finish adjusting to the NHL. In three years ask this question again.

It's not that I'm down so much on Vanek, but just really impressed with Phaneuf. Where do you think Vanek will be in a couple of years...consistent 40-50 goal scorer? I believe he has the god given talent to put up those kind of numbers every year, but I don't know if he has the heart. In terms of that, only time will tell. That is why I really liked him with Drury, but Lindy had Vanek with Max & Roy on Wednesday.

It's not that I'm down so much on Vanek, but just really impressed with Phaneuf. Where do you think Vanek will be in a couple of years...consistent 40-50 goal scorer? I believe he has the god given talent to put up those kind of numbers every year, but I don't know if he has the heart. In terms of that, only time will tell. That is why I really liked him with Drury, but Lindy had Vanek with Max & Roy on Wednesday.

There have been a few games where Vanek has been out there with Roy and Afinogenov...and every time I think they have been our best line on the ice. I hope they continue to stay together.

I went to the 91 draft at the Aud and recently came across the program which listed the first two rounds of every draft since the sixties. I was saddened at the fact that often times, several picks after the Sabres, a major player was drafted, especially during eighties and 1990 (Tkachuk and Brodeur got picked five and six spots after we took Brad May). There is always going to be someone "better" that gets picked just after us. But in this scenario, at least we are talking about two quality players that both have bright futures (agreed, ask again in three years) and not Brad May vs. Martin Brodeur.

I went to the 91 draft at the Aud and recently came across the program which listed the first two rounds of every draft since the sixties. I was saddened at the fact that often times, several picks after the Sabres, a major player was drafted, especially during eighties and 1990 (Tkachuk and Brodeur got picked five and six spots after we took Brad May). There is always going to be someone "better" that gets picked just after us. But in this scenario, at least we are talking about two quality players that both have bright futures (agreed, ask again in three years) and not Brad May vs. Martin Brodeur.

To make matters worse about drafting May rather than Tkachuk was the Sabres swapped places with Winnipeg as part of the Hawerchuk trade. (Where's the D'oh smilie when you need it?)

It's all online. This is a great site for draft info and any player stats. I use it all the time...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/index.html

Archived