2010 could see significant drop in salary cap

tom webster

The NHL is not immune to the effects of the global economy. Especially true in the salary cap era. As people have less money to spend, they are likely to be more judicious in how they spend their money and consequently that affects ticket gates and team revenue. Additionally, the Canadian teams are not immune to this either as much of the strength in the Canadian dollar in recent years has been driven by the absurdly high oil prices, which have now become absurdly low (For someone who lives 40 miles away from my MBA school, I'm currently loving the state of gas prices relative to after the most recent Hurricane).

Consequently, it should be no surprise for any team that the salary cap may go down within the next few years, and the team best positioned to capitalize on this in my opinion are the Sabres, especially with so many contracts expiring after this year e.g. Connolly, Kotalik, Max, Spacek, Stafford, Sekera, Peters, MacArthurs, Kaleta, and Mancari. Given the situation, I think there is also a high likelihood that renegade GMs will not put out any offer sheets for RFAs next year as there may be very little money to go around at all, so I think we have little to worry about with guys like Stafford, Sekera, MacArthur, Kaleta, and Mancari. And, I don't expect Connolly, Kotalik, and Max to be re-signed either. So, the Sabres are in a really great position as their important talent is under contract for the long term and the guys coming up for new contracts are mostly RFAs and UFAs they probably don't want to re-sign. I hope the salary cap goes down because it will be excellent for the Sabres if it does.

The NHL is not immune to the effects of the global economy.

Apparently neither is the colossal NFL, since they just announced they are laying off over 10% of their staff (150 employees) at league HQ, NFL films and a production studio in LA...

$6.5 billion in revenues and they have to cut a bunch of people who probably collectively earn less in a year than Roethlisberger takes home in half a season..

Sorry for the hijack.

The NHL is not immune to the effects of the global economy. Especially true in the salary cap era. As people have less money to spend, they are likely to be more judicious in how they spend their money and consequently that affects ticket gates and team revenue. Additionally, the Canadian teams are not immune to this either as much of the strength in the Canadian dollar in recent years has been driven by the absurdly high oil prices, which have now become absurdly low (For someone who lives 40 miles away from my MBA school, I'm currently loving the state of gas prices relative to after the most recent Hurricane).

Consequently, it should be no surprise for any team that the salary cap may go down within the next few years, and the team best positioned to capitalize on this in my opinion are the Sabres, especially with so many contracts expiring after this year e.g. Connolly, Kotalik, Max, Spacek, Stafford, Sekera, Peters, MacArthurs, Kaleta, and Mancari. Given the situation, I think there is also a high likelihood that renegade GMs will not put out any offer sheets for RFAs next year as there may be very little money to go around at all, so I think we have little to worry about with guys like Stafford, Sekera, MacArthur, Kaleta, and Mancari. And, I don't expect Connolly, Kotalik, and Max to be re-signed either. So, the Sabres are in a really great position as their important talent is under contract for the long term and the guys coming up for new contracts are mostly RFAs and UFAs they probably don't want to re-sign. I hope the salary cap goes down because it will be excellent for the Sabres if it does.

Kotalik will probably be re-signed to a contract that is proper for a 3rd line right winger. I also see us re-signing Spacek, Peters, and all of the RFA's without any problem. Granted, one or more of these players could instead be traded mid-season for a center or two, but we'll see...

Afinogenov is certain to be gone because Ruff hates him. As is Connolly because I'm guessing Regier sees his injury problems as more of a headache than a chance to keep a talented player at a bargain price. Numminen will probably be gone as well because he's really starting to look his age now, but also because we need to make room for both Butler and Weber next year.

Archived