Looking to the future

Hawk

Now that TG has become a BIG fan of Sabres hockey. Has found fans streaming into HSBC. And now will experience the REAL season, in about six weeks. Will he become so hooked that he will give us, and I hate to use this rigas cliche, "the tools to finish the job." My opinion. The next 10 years are going to be something special... :D :D :D

Now that TG has become a BIG fan of Sabres hockey. Has found fans streaming into HSBC. And now will experience the REAL season, in about six weeks. Will he become so hooked that he will give us, and I hate to use this rigas cliche, "the tools to finish the job." My opinion. The next 10 years are going to be something special... :D :D :D

one can only hope... but who knows what his intentions are... i trust him though i think he can make this team great... but first things first... make a profit then make the team better... you have to think like a business man not a sports fan... or else that ship is sunk.

one can only hope... but who knows what his intentions are... i trust him though i think he can make this team great... but first things first... make a profit then make the team better... you have to think like a business man not a sports fan... or else that ship is sunk.

I think the team is going to be very successful over the next few years. With the new CBA, it is all about building your team from within, rather than going out and spending like crazy to win a cup. We have developed a great young core of players in our system. This means that the team only needs to look to the free agent or trade market every now and to address very specific needs.

But with that being said. The team has been very successful on the business end of things this year. I expect them to be willing to spend a little bit more next year because of it.

I know u sabres fans have your hearts set on the "future" But here is a little something to think about

Player Name Contract Status % of Payroll Salary ($)

Tim Connolly 1 year. 3.59 1,036,900

Ales Kotalik 1 year. 2.90 837,900

Jochen Hecht 3 years, $6 million total 6.58 1,900,000

Taylor Pyatt 1 year. 3.43 989,720

Maxim Afinogenov 1 year. 3.76 1,086,800

J.P. Dumont 1 year. 5.53 1,596,000

Dmitri Kalinin 1 year option. 4.61 1,330,000

Jay McKee 1 year. 5.53 1,596,000

Martin Biron 1 year. 7.37 2,128,000

Mika Noronen 1 year. 2.30 665,000

Adam Mair 1 year left on 3 year deal. 1.56 450,000

Ryan Miller 1 year. 1.74 501,600

Andrew Peters 1 year. 1.56 450,000

Paul Gaustad 1 year. 1.56 450,000

Jason Pominville Signed, 1 yr left on rookie deal. 1.56 450,000

Derek Roy 1 yr left on rookie deal 2.60 750,000

Henrik Tallinder 1 year. 2.05 591,800

Daniel Briere 1 year. 6.71 1,938,000

Thomas Vanek 2 yrs left on rookie deal 3.26 942,400

Rory Fitzpatrick 1 year club option. 1.84 532,000

Chris Drury 3 yrs left on 5 yr deal 10.13 2,926,000

Brian Campbell 1 year. 1.59 459,800

Mike Grier 1 year. 4.73 1,364,400

Teppo Numminen 1 year contract. 6.93 2,000,000

Toni Lydman 1 year left.. 6.58 1,900,000

Total Payroll $28,872,320

That is a lot of 1 year contracts ALL getting raises.

And the team turned a profit this year, so their budget could very well go up next year. I would imagine if Biron is here in a week, he won't be here at the start of next year, that frees up some more money.

Most of us would rather have the team be consistently successful over the next few years than take one shot at the Cup and end up not making the playoffs next year.

There is never a middle ground with a Sabres Fan

"Most of us would rather have the team be consistently successful over the next few years than take one shot at the Cup and end up not making the playoffs next year."

Whats wrong with trying to take a shot at winning every year?

Why does it mean if we make a pitch for a cup it has to mean sacrificing our future?

Is our management so incompatent that they will destroy us if the try to win every year?

please explain?

Also do you think just because buffalo turns a profit it will reflect on the ice??? Why would it? As the cap goes up so does the cost of running a team.

Do you really think because the cap goes up 10 million the sabres will spend 10 million more? It is really irrelevant to a small market team what the cap is. If it was 60 million do you really believe we would spend more money? please explain?

Our Time is now!.......................our time is also next year. Lets see moves every year every chance we can take to win lets take it.

Here is where our money will go next year you are looking at over 3 million more dollars just signing those players. Players traded for now cost next to nothing. I think Darcy would rather trade now and pay a few dollars out then having to let go some of our players because we can't afford them.

You guys need to understand that turning a profit means the owner makes money. He will not raise the pay roll more than a few million dollars if that. Looking at things long term like you guys like to do their is no gaurantee that this team will make money EVERY year. I own my own Business and when you turn a profit you don't go out and spend it all. You keep it in hopes that you never need to use it on unseen expenses. It is a fine line at turning a profit for the Buffalo Sabres and at any time this team could go in the red. If we lose a few games the sell outs stop and the profits dissapear.

The time is now and every year after that. The least expensive way to win is bringing in rental players that won't disrupt the chemistry that can help us win now that won't be here next year. It is the most economical way and you will see it at the trade deadline.

If there is money to spend on players for next year wouldn't Mckee be signed???

think about it lets win every year lets not say hey it was a fine year we will be better next year. Before you know it 2 or 3 years pass and all of our good young talent wants raises and we can't afford. Trading our players for picks and younger talent. I have seen it many times...The Montreal expos the edmonton oilers the calgary flames. I have seen what young talent becoming to good for the small market system does. It dissapears!

they may not go threw the roof but making a 1-year qualifying offer doesn't solve anything. Also the player may demand a pay rise or trade me routine.

What is the rule on a 1-year qualifyng offer? Does that create a chance for UFA the next year?

Hey don't get me wrong the sabres have done a great job but don'r forget what happens to a players stock when you can't afford him the next year and you have to trade him. It goes in the toilet.

There is never a middle ground with a Sabres Fan

"Most of us would rather have the team be consistently successful over the next few years than take one shot at the Cup and end up not making the playoffs next year."

Whats wrong with trying to take a shot at winning every year?

Why does it mean if we make a pitch for a cup it has to mean sacrificing our future?

Is our management so incompatent that they will destroy us if the try to win every year?

please explain?

Also do you think just because buffalo turns a profit it will reflect on the ice??? Why would it? As the cap goes up so does the cost of running a team.

Do you really think because the cap goes up 10 million the sabres will spend 10 million more? It is really irrelevant to a small market team what the cap is. If it was 60 million do you really believe we would spend more money? please explain?

Our Time is now!.......................our time is also next year. Lets see moves every year every chance we can take to win lets take it.

Here is where our money will go next year you are looking at over 3 million more dollars just signing those players. Players traded for now cost next to nothing. I think Darcy would rather trade now and pay a few dollars out then having to let go some of our players because we can't afford them.

You guys need to understand that turning a profit means the owner makes money. He will not raise the pay roll more than a few million dollars if that. Looking at things long term like you guys like to do their is no gaurantee that this team will make money EVERY year. I own my own Business and when you turn a profit you don't go out and spend it all. You keep it in hopes that you never need to use it on unseen expenses. It is a fine line at turning a profit for the Buffalo Sabres and at any time this team could go in the red. If we lose a few games the sell outs stop and the profits dissapear.

The time is now and every year after that. The least expensive way to win is bringing in rental players that won't disrupt the chemistry that can help us win now that won't be here next year. It is the most economical way and you will see it at the trade deadline.

If there is money to spend on players for next year wouldn't Mckee be signed???

think about it lets win every year lets not say hey it was a fine year we will be better next year. Before you know it 2 or 3 years pass and all of our good young talent wants raises and we can't afford. Trading our players for picks and younger talent. I have seen it many times...The Montreal expos the edmonton oilers the calgary flames. I have seen what young talent becoming to good for the small market system does. It dissapears!

Todd, you raise some interesting points. Here is what I am thinking:

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a shot at the cup every year. But what price do you want to pay to take the shot at the cup? I don't really want to see the team get into a bidding war and give up a lot of players that can contribute to the team for several years for a player that is around for several months. A lot of people feel that in order to be successful in the new NHL, you really have to build your team from within rather than shopping the FA market in the offseason, and going for a lot of blockbuster deals.

I expect turning a profit this year to reflect on the ice next year. I can understand why you disagree, I guess we will find out over the summer who is right. The way I see it though, that the team is projected to turn a profit in the regular season. This is the first time in forever that the team has been profitable. I see this translating to the team increasing their budget. Especially considering the team is able to turn a profit right after a lockout and with a slow start at the box office.

I don't think that the Sabres budget has anything to do with the cap. There was a cap this year of $39 million, and the team had an internal budget much lower than that. So if the cap goes up, down or stays the same I don't think it will have any impact on how much money the team spends. I think management is going to look at their financial situation and say "we can spend X and break even."

I disagree with you that we need to make moves every chance we get in order to win. We should make moves when we need to to address the specific needs of the team.

Assuming your premise is true and it is going to cost us $3 million more to sign that group of players, you forget that Biron is probably not going to be here at the start of next season. Paying over $2 million for a backup again next year just doesn't make sense. So where does that put us? Going into this year I believe Regeir said that the team budget was around $30 million (I could be wrong). You take Biron out of the picture, that takes us down to roughly $26.5 million. So those players raises would still keep us under this year's budget. Granted a lot of other players are going to be getting raises too, but this can be addressed by the fact that the budget is probably going to be going up slightly, and by the fact that we have a lot of depth up front and can lose a player or two and still have virtually the same team. And by the way, I never assumed that the budget would be raised more than a few million.

I think comparing the Sabres to another business doesn't really work. Let's face it, TG is not hurting for money at all. I don't think he needs a garuntee that his team is going to make money, but he needs a financial plan that makes it likely that the team will not lose money. It should also be noted that the projection that the Sabres would turn a profit in the regular season was very conservative.

I don't disagree with you that the team needs to make a deadline move. I think we just disagree on what is needed, and how much the team should give up.

I agree with you that McKee should be signed now. But Regeir says it's his policy to worry about such thins in the off season. I don't agree with his decision because McKee's price will likely go way up.

There is a solution for being able to afford your young talent...lock them up into long term deals.

I know you have been looking forward to all the deadline activity, but just one thing to keep in mind is that this is the first year under a new CBA. I have heard some speculate that this will result in very little deadline activity. Personally, I am taking more of a wait and see approach.

What is the rule on a 1-year qualifyng offer? Does that create a chance for UFA the next year?

You don't become a UFA until you hit the UFA age. Your contract the previous year has no effect.

they may not go threw the roof but making a 1-year qualifying offer doesn't solve anything. Also the player may demand a pay rise or trade me routine.

Hey don't get me wrong the sabres have done a great job but don'r forget what happens to a players stock when you can't afford him the next year and you have to trade him. It goes in the toilet.

Players making less than $660k have to be offered a 10% raise in order for a team to retain their rights. For players between $660k and $1MM, a 5% raise must be offered; and for players making over $1MM, they must be offered their current salary.

In '06-'07, players who are 29 yrs old with 4 years service or players with 8 years of service can become UFA's.

In '07-'08, it is 28 with 4 or 7 years of service and after that it will be 27 with 4 years of service or anyone with 7 years of service.

My understanding of year of service is playing any games in the NHL in that season, but I have not seen the CBA so I am not positive of that.

Also, players holding out must sign with a team by December or they are required to sit the entire season, so while UFA's hold nearly all the cards in their negotiations, RFA's hold very few.

A player receiving a 1 year qualifying offer can only become an UFA the next season if he meets that season's UFA thresholds or if his team doesn't submit a new qualifying offer the next season.

I know u sabres fans have your hearts set on the "future" But here is a little something to think about

Player Name Contract Status % of Payroll Salary ($)

Jochen Hecht 3 years, $6 million total 6.58 1,900,000

Taylor Pyatt 1 year. 3.43 989,720

Maxim Afinogenov 1 year. 3.76 1,086,800

J.P. Dumont 1 year. 5.53 1,596,000

Dmitri Kalinin 1 year option. 4.61 1,330,000

Jay McKee 1 year. 5.53 1,596,000

Martin Biron 1 year. 7.37 2,128,000

Adam Mair 1 year left on 3 year deal. 1.56 450,000

Ryan Miller 1 year. 1.74 501,600

Andrew Peters 1 year. 1.56 450,000

Henrik Tallinder 1 year. 2.05 591,800

Daniel Briere 1 year. 6.71 1,938,000

Thomas Vanek 2 yrs left on rookie deal 3.26 942,400

Rory Fitzpatrick 1 year club option. 1.84 532,000

Chris Drury 3 yrs left on 5 yr deal 10.13 2,926,000

Mike Grier 1 year. 4.73 1,364,400

Teppo Numminen 1 year contract. 6.93 2,000,000

Toni Lydman 1 year left.. 6.58 1,900,000

Total Payroll $28,872,320

That is a lot of 1 year contracts ALL getting raises.

Even if they all had three years left they would be getting raises. It's how contracts work. Most will be retained. Some will retire or be released. New players will be brought in. So? What's the big deal? It's the business of hockey. The Sabres will decided what the core of the team is. Keep it in place and build around. It's a sound hockey way of doing business.

Maybe one of these days the NHL will go ahead and publish a copy of the CBA!

That would be a very good thing, but I am not holding my breath.

If anyone on this board does have access to it, please PM me and I promise not to divulge my source as I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really want to get a copy of it.

Archived