It's late in the game, but a RFA to look at ...

carpandean

I was looking over some rosters, still stewing over the fact that we still don't have more than 1 1/2 top-two-line centers, when I noticed something interesting. Patty O'Sullivan still hasn't reached a contract with the LA Kings and hasn't been allowed into training camp (article.)

The kid's got mad offensive skills and can play at any forward position. He certainly fits the current Sabre mold physically, though I'm not sure that's a good thing. Apparently, he wants out of LA and is looking for them to sign a much shorter contract than they want, so that he is not stuck there. Rumors are also that the salary they are talking about is $4 million, which is what I expect (at minimum) to be paying a second line center next year. What's really interesting is that LA is under the cap ... no, not in the good way ... they are under the minimum ($40.7 million), so they could use, say, a $3.33 million winger to help get them above. See where I'm going with that ...

Hmmm...

Vanek-Roy-O'Sullivan

Paille-Connolly-Pommer

Gaustad-Hecht-Kotalik

Kaleta-Mair-Stafford

(When Connolly is healthy.)

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Paille-O'Sullivan-Pommer

Gaustad-Hecht-Kotalik

Kaleta-Mair-MacArthur/Peters

(When Connolly is not.)

Anyone know the rules for such a player being moved? He's currently an RFA, but I don't know how it works this late in the game.

Unfortunately, they really need a starting goaltender and some defensemen, so if they can trade him, it will likely be for one of those. Of course, they could get another $2.5+ million in cap hit if they want Lydman or Tallinder, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry Carp, I was hoping you were right.

Yeah, me too.

Call me a cynic, but when I see a young kid that doesn't want to be LA getting a guaranteed $4 million in the first year of a deal that only averages $2.925 million, my mind starts to think about all of the ways that he might try to get of LA next summer.

Archived