[OT] Georgian Men's Beach Volleyball Team

carpandean

Right now, I'm watching the bronze medal (or replay, thereof) game between Brazil and Braz ... uh, I mean Georgia. The Georgian team is made up of two Brazilian volleyball players, who live and train in Brazil. Georgia is basically paying them to try and win a medal (which, they just failed to do, losing to Brazil badly -- thrown perhaps?) I've never really liked US citizens playing for the country of their heritage, but I at least understand that connection. However, I don't believe that these guys have any Georgian blood in the veins. That's just wrong.

Also weird is that their names are Terceira and Gomes, but during the game, they were listed as and called Geor and Gia. :blink:

Right now, I'm watching the bronze medal (or replay, thereof) game between Brazil and Braz ... uh, I mean Georgia. The Georgian team is made up of two Brazilian volleyball players, who live and train in Brazil. Georgia is basically paying them to try and win a medal (which, they just failed to do, losing to Brazil badly -- thrown perhaps?) I've never really liked US citizens playing for the country of their heritage, but I at least understand that connection. However, I don't believe that these guys have any Georgian blood in the veins. That's just wrong.

Also weird is that their names are Terceira and Gomes, but during the game, they were listed as and called Geor and Gia. :blink:

US is the biggest country of athletes who come from other countries. Just look at the dude who carried the US flag, or the US Mens national soccer team.

US is the biggest country of athletes who come from other countries. Just look at the dude who carried the US flag, or the US Mens national soccer team.

Yeah, but most of those have immigrated (or defected, as one Cuban runner did) to the US. These guys have spent something like four months in Georgia in the last three years. They have lived and will continue to live in Brazil.

Yeah, but most of those have immigrated (or defected, as one Cuban runner did) to the US. These guys have spent something like four months in Georgia in the last three years. They have lived and will continue to live in Brazil.

They probably didn't even look Georgian. Georgians have some peculiar facial features. Just take a look at the President of Georgia Mikheil Saakashvili and former Georgian President Eduard Shevardnadze.

Granted, I haven't seen a pic of these pseudo-Georgians, but from what you guys are telling me, that's like asking Antonio Banderas to shrink his jaw line and lighten his complexion slightly in order to look like Teppo.

They probably didn't even look Georgian. Georgians have some peculiar facial features. Just take a look at the President of Georgia Mikheil Saakashvili and former Georgian President Eduard Shevardnadze.

Granted, I haven't seen a pic of these pseudo-Georgians, but from what you guys are telling me, that's like asking Antonio Banderas to shrink his jaw line and lighten his complexion slightly in order to look like Teppo.

http://www.bvbinfo.com/player.asp?ID=7455

http://www.bvbinfo.com/player.asp?ID=7456

Archived