[OT] 2K9 or EA09

Guest Sloth

2k9 or EA 09?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Videogame hockey debate

• 2K9
    • EA 09

Guest Sloth

I figure I'd start a poll on the upcoming hockey games. I'm stuck in the middle, but if I had to make a choice today it'd be 2K9. That's mainly due to the fact I've bought 2K hockey for the last 9 years. So which one do you plan to buy?

I have to confess I've played EA NHL since the 3rd version ('94). I've tried the 2k version a couple of times but never really seriously gave it as much playing time as I do the EA version. But, if 09 is better than 08, it will rock.

EA and it's not even close. EA's game was hands-down the best sports game of the year in 08, while 2k churned out a ridiculous "arcadey" product. This year they knew they had to step it up to catch up to EA, and what do they come up with? Playoff beards and a game where you drive a zamboni during the intermissions. Oh boy, that'll show EA who's boss!

The best thing about EA this year is going to be the online where you create a player, join a team and progress your player as you play from only his aspect. You can even get traded to another team.

EA's treatment of the PC (and PS2) platform has been appalling. '08 for PC (and PS2) was based on '06 technology, with none of the upgrades that made the console '08 any good. I'll read the reviews and decide after they come out. Maybe I'll have a console by that time, but I'm still not happy with the pure feces EA has published in hockey on the PC lately.

Guest Sloth
EA and it's not even close. EA's game was hands-down the best sports game of the year in 08, while 2k churned out a ridiculous "arcadey" product. This year they knew they had to step it up to catch up to EA, and what do they come up with? Playoff beards and a game where you drive a zamboni during the intermissions. Oh boy, that'll show EA who's boss!

The best thing about EA this year is going to be the online where you create a player, join a team and progress your player as you play from only his aspect. You can even get traded to another team.

That sounds tempting. I heard you can play w/ the minor league teams, but can you go through an entire minor league season? That would be deal closer for me.

That sounds tempting. I heard you can play w/ the minor league teams, but can you go through an entire minor league season? That would be deal closer for me.

Yep, you're correct. I can only speak for the x360 version, but you can already play an entire dynasty with the AHL team on last year's game, which is an interesting feature. And you don't have to play the NHL games if you don't want to, and vice versa.

EA's treatment of the PC (and PS2) platform has been appalling. '08 for PC (and PS2) was based on '06 technology, with none of the upgrades that made the console '08 any good. I'll read the reviews and decide after they come out. Maybe I'll have a console by that time, but I'm still not happy with the pure feces EA has published in hockey on the PC pretty much every sport for any non-next gen console lately.

Agreed, with the small fix.

I'm not a big gamer, i used to be as a kid, but NHL 08 had some incredible things in it. It is by far the best sports game i've ever played. I try to rent each year the game for a week or so and play my mind out and other then that, just play at friends houses. NHL08 was great, i rented it a few times, i never bought it though. NHL 09 i am definetly going to pre-order. The new things they are adding are incredible. It's going to be by far the greatest sports game of all time.

NHL2K had one good year for hockey. Other then that, it's bad. 2k sports series i don't think cares about hockey. Isn't its primary owner ESPN? But their basketball series i heard is unreal and i think even sold more copies then NBA Live last year.

I'm not a big gamer, i used to be as a kid, but NHL 08 had some incredible things in it. It is by far the best sports game i've ever played. I try to rent each year the game for a week or so and play my mind out and other then that, just play at friends houses. NHL08 was great, i rented it a few times, i never bought it though. NHL 09 i am definetly going to pre-order. The new things they are adding are incredible. It's going to be by far the greatest sports game of all time.

NHL2K had one good year for hockey. Other then that, it's bad. 2k sports series i don't think cares about hockey. Isn't its primary owner ESPN? But their basketball series i heard is unreal and i think even sold more copies then NBA Live last year.

I assume you mean the next-gen version of NHL 08, because the PS2 version sucked out loud.

Guest Sloth

I'm not sure what the sale numbers were for 07/08, but 2K did dominate the videogame hockey market for a number of years. It received the best reviews and sold the most games. 2K obviously was putting a lot into their hockey games. You also have to remember EA has the rights to the NFL, so 2K needs to focus their attention on any major sport they can make a game for. After EA's success on the Super Nintendo, EA sucked at making hockey games. It's taken them 12 or 13 years to figure things out and return to the top.

Guest Sloth
lol yeah i meant for ps3.

Just out of curiosity, did any of you guys play Blades of Steel on the original Nintendo? That was a fun hockey game! I may buy a Nintendo Wii so I can purchase the old games online. It'd be a blast to play the old school games like Mega Man, Mario Brothers, Metroid, Super Metroid, Legend of Zelda series, and Bionic Commando, which is one of the greatest games ever made. Being able to buy the classics is what makes the Wii a must buy.

Just out of curiosity, did any of you guys play Blades of Steel on the original Nintendo? That was a fun hockey game!

I used to have this as my avatar:

post-327-1217478202_thumbjpg

Check out this Online Shrine: LINK

Just out of curiosity, did any of you guys play Blades of Steel on the original Nintendo? That was a fun hockey game! I may buy a Nintendo Wii so I can purchase the old games online. It'd be a blast to play the old school games like Mega Man, Mario Brothers, Metroid, Super Metroid, Legend of Zelda series, and Bionic Commando, which is one of the greatest games ever made. Being able to buy the classics is what makes the Wii a must buy.

One thing you should know about that is that not all the games are available instantly. Nintendo releases a couple at a time, so you may want to check out a list of what's released to see if it's worth purchasing one right now. For example, there are almost none of the classic SNES RPGs (like Chrono Trigger, FF series, Illusion of Gaia, Lufia series, etc.) out on Virtual Console. Square Enix seems to only want to release their games in an "updated" version for the GBA/DS rather than allowing Nintendo to release them on the VC, just so they can charge $35 instead of $8 on the VC.

Guest Sloth
One thing you should know about that is that not all the games are available instantly. Nintendo releases a couple at a time, so you may want to check out a list of what's released to see if it's worth purchasing one right now. For example, there are almost none of the classic SNES RPGs (like Chrono Trigger, FF series, Illusion of Gaia, Lufia series, etc.) out on Virtual Console. Square Enix seems to only want to release their games in an "updated" version for the GBA/DS rather than allowing Nintendo to release them on the VC, just so they can charge $35 instead of $8 on the VC.

That bites. Being able to play the classics was the reason I was going to buy a Wii. Chrono Trigger is probably the greatest game ever made. It was far beyond its time and it was a game I'll never forget. Hopefully square enix will allow it be on the Wii. I was disappointed when square enix cancelled a remake of Chrono Trigger. Just a quick question. Did you ever play Secret of Mana? That was another great RPG on the SNES. I've played the rest on your list. FF VI was a great game, but in my opinion, the best FF game was FF VII. I know that is a common choice, but it's true. The only FF game I've liked since the release of FFVII was FFX. The rest were just ok. FFX-2 flat out sucked.

That bites. Being able to play the classics was the reason I was going to buy a Wii. Chrono Trigger is probably the greatest game ever made. It was far beyond its time and it was a game I'll never forget. Hopefully square enix will allow it be on the Wii. I was disappointed when square enix cancelled a remake of Chrono Trigger.

I may be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that CT will NOT be released on the Virtual Console because Square-Enix announced that they'd be releasing Chrono Trigger with updated graphics for the Nintendo DS. Since I already have a DS, I'll probably still buy it because CT is my favorite all time RPG.

Just a quick question. Did you ever play Secret of Mana? That was another great RPG on the SNES. I've played the rest on your list. FF VI was a great game, but in my opinion, the best FF game was FF VII. I know that is a common choice, but it's true. The only FF game I've liked since the release of FFVII was FFX. The rest were just ok. FFX-2 flat out sucked.

Yeah, I played Secret of Mana years ago. That game was probably known best because you could play multiplayer once you get to the point in the story where you had two people in your party. Very nice.

As for the Final Fantasies, I actually haven't played any since the SNES days, except for FF7 for the PC, which I borrowed from a friend. So, I can't really comment on how that series has gone.

Archived