Lines for the upcoming season

Barnabov

I'm dying here in the Summer doldrums & while all the OT stuff is good to read, we need some hockey talk to keep us going.

So, here's my favorite Lindy Ruff game - trying to predict his line combos (I haven't been right yet)...

LW - C - RW

Vanek - Roy - Pominville

Hecht - Connolly - Afinogenov

Kotalik - MacArthur - Stafford

Paille - Gaustad - Mair

That leaves out Kaleta (who I'd like to see play in every game) and Peters (who I'd like to see play in no games).

I thought our 3rd line could use some more offense & Kotalik really needs to play with skill guys to perform.

Will be interesting to see how long Maxim lasts? If he rebounds (which he should) I hope they can get some return by trading him and don't sign him to an extension which would seem to be making another Connolly or Kotalik type mistake.

A Peters - Mair - Kaleta line would be fun to watch but who gets sat so they can play? As usual, injuries will take care of getting playing time for the floaters.

For D - it's looking like Sekera is pegged to stay up. Weber will probably get some more AHL seasoning but should get plenty of callups due to injuries. Paetsch with his contract already in place seems to be solidly in line for 7th D & lots of pressbox time. Sounds like the only other plan is to sign Numinnen or Pratt giving us the following lineup:

Tallinder - Lydman

Spacek - Rivet

Sekera - Numinnen (or Pratt)

Paetsch

OK - that's my stab - anyone else care to have a go?

I'm still of the belief that Max will be gone prior to the season starting...

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Kotalik-Connolly-Pominville

Hecht-Gaustad-Paille

Kaleta-Mair-Macarthur/Peters/Gogulla/fill in the blank

If the Sabres sign no one else for the blueline, it will be...

Tallinder-Lydman

Spacek-Rivet

Weber-Sekera

Paetsch

and as a darkhorse candidate Butler as I hear his game is near NHL ready.

Goalies...I am going out on a limb and will say Miller and Lalime! :D

I'm dying here in the Summer doldrums & while all the OT stuff is good to read, we need some hockey talk to keep us going.

So, here's my favorite Lindy Ruff game - trying to predict his line combos (I haven't been right yet)...

LW - C - RW

Vanek - Roy - Pominville

Hecht - Connolly - Afinogenov

Kotalik - MacArthur - Stafford

Paille - Gaustad - Mair

That leaves out Kaleta (who I'd like to see play in every game) and Peters (who I'd like to see play in no games).

I thought our 3rd line could use some more offense & Kotalik really needs to play with skill guys to perform.

Will be interesting to see how long Maxim lasts? If he rebounds (which he should) I hope they can get some return by trading him and don't sign him to an extension which would seem to be making another Connolly or Kotalik type mistake.

A Peters - Mair - Kaleta line would be fun to watch but who gets sat so they can play? As usual, injuries will take care of getting playing time for the floaters.

For D - it's looking like Sekera is pegged to stay up. Weber will probably get some more AHL seasoning but should get plenty of callups due to injuries. Paetsch with his contract already in place seems to be solidly in line for 7th D & lots of pressbox time. Sounds like the only other plan is to sign Numinnen or Pratt giving us the following lineup:

Tallinder - Lydman

Spacek - Rivet

Sekera - Numinnen (or Pratt)

Paetsch

OK - that's my stab - anyone else care to have a go?

I like your lines, but this is what I would do

Vanek-Roy-MacArthur

First line with 2 scoring threats, and Mac who has great hands and is naturally better at wing than center.

Stafford-Hecht-Pomminstein

All 3 are strong in both ends, capable of scoring and shutting down other teams

Max-Conolly-Paille

Talent up the ass, but whether any of them decide to reach their potential is squarely on them.

Kotalik-Gaustad-Mair

size, strength, aggressive 4th line

Leaves Kaleta and Peters the 2 on the outside looking in

Defense

Lydman-Tallindar

Spacek-Rivet

Weber-Sekera

Paetsch

I really think that last year Webers 16 games with the club showed he was far more ready than we all thought. The guy to me is actually a better player than Sekera is, but we desperately need guys that can move the puck out of their own zone, which is why I have Sekera on the big club as well.

LW - C - RW

Vanek - Roy - Afinogenov/Stafford

Hecht - Connolly - Pominville

Paille - Gaustad - Kotalik

Kaleta - Mair - Stafford/Afinogenov

Peters, MacArthur

Spacek - Rivet

Tallinder - Lydman

Sekera - Numinnen/Weber/other

Paetsch

I've often wondered about putting Pominville on Roy's wing and, while that seems like a great top line, I fear that may weaken the second line too much, allowing teams to focus on shutting down just our top line. Plus, Hecht and Pominville have good chemistry. Gaustad will be our third-line center; he's making too much for a fourth-liner now ;) . They better find a way to get Kaleta in the lineup full-time, even if that means a player like MacArthur sits in the box. He's a role-players and needs to be in that spot.

As for defense, I see Spacek-Rivet becoming our top line. Spacek-Campbell was our top line last year until Brian left and Spacek-Rivet is a more balanced pairing. I also want to see Tallydman back as the second-pairing with a little less responsibility. I hope the make one more addition to the blue line, but the article on sabres.nhl.com today suggests that they see Weber up there full time.

and as a darkhorse candidate Butler as I hear his game is near NHL ready.

Butler is very close, he's got all the right tools right now, just needs to increase his on ice vision a bit.

Another guy who we could see up incredibly soon is Tim Kennedy, he looked amazing at rookie camp, making smart passes, not overly anxious to fire an arrant shot, looked like a veteran at rookie camp

LW - C - RW

Vanek - Roy - Afinogenov/Stafford

Hecht - Connolly - Pominville

Paille - Gaustad - Kotalik

Kaleta - Mair - Stafford/Afinogenov

Peters, MacArthur

Spacek - Rivet

Tallinder - Lydman

Sekera - Numinnen/Weber/other

Paetsch

I've often wondered about putting Pominville on Roy's wing and, while that seems like a great top line, I fear that may weaken the second line too much, allowing teams to focus on shutting down just our top line. Plus, Hecht and Pominville have good chemistry. Gaustad will be our third-line center; he's making too much for a fourth-liner now ;) . They better find a way to get Kaleta in the lineup full-time, even if that means a player like MacArthur sits in the box. He's a role-players and needs to be in that spot.

As for defense, I see Spacek-Rivet becoming our top line. Spacek-Campbell was our top line last year until Brian left and Spacek-Rivet is a more balanced pairing. I also want to see Tallydman back as the second-pairing with a little less responsibility. I hope the make one more addition to the blue line, but the article on sabres.nhl.com today suggests that they see Weber up there full time.

I don't think it suggests that at all ... it's an NHL.com story, written by one of their national guys, and there is nothing in there from Ruff or Regier or anyone other than a pro scout ... I liked what I saw from him, and he may very well earn that spot, but I think he will have to earn it in camp ... I know you guys love to just rip DR for doing nothing and going with kids, but he also believes in those kids developing in the AHL for 2 years if possible. Remember they sent Roy and Pominville down to start seasons before they forced their way back up ... they may do the same with Weber.

I don't think it suggests that at all ... it's an NHL.com story, written by one of their national guys, and there is nothing in there from Ruff or Regier or anyone other than a pro scout ... I liked what I saw from him, and he may very well earn that spot, but I think he will have to earn it in camp ... I know you guys love to just rip DR for doing nothing and going with kids, but he also believes in those kids developing in the AHL for 2 years if possible. Remember they sent Roy and Pominville down to start seasons before they forced their way back up ... they may do the same with Weber.

I am definitely not one of those guys. I admit that I missed that the article was from NHL.com and assumed that if it is on sabres.nhl.com that the team was responsible for it. I would like to see Weber start in Rochester and earn the right to come up. I have no doubt that he will be ready for a full-time spot in 2009-10, but I want to make sure he's ready before giving him a starting spot this season.

Archived