OT-Hockey Taverns in Pittsburgh?

That Aud Smell

I know there's at least one member here who knows the 'Burgh (you out there, 'bread?).

Some buddies of mine and I are thinking about making the trip to watch game 4 with a home crowd in the host city (although not in the arena -- although we will probably spend some time outside the arena (although from what I can tell, it won't nearly compare with the scenes outside HSBC)).

Can anyone make recommendation(s) for a downtown tavern that's likely to have a lively Pens crowd?

There is a place a block or so away from the Arena on 5th Ave. called the Super Bowl ... it is two floors ... get there early because it is a pre-game hangout for people going to the game, but it will probably clear out a little closer to gametime ... the food is good, they have Blue on draft I think ... when the Sabres play there it seems it's about half Sabres fans before the game.

Another option would be around PNC Park ... there are several decent sports bars there ... Bucs are away but should draw a decent crowd for the Pens.

Some would tell you to check out the Strip District but ... it's really a younger club-type crowd and probably not what you are looking for if you want to watch the game ...

I just found out last night that a buddy of mine was at game 3. He said it was the loudest building he'd ever been in, and the atmosphere was phenomenal.

I'd have to agree that that was one of the most intense games I've ever watched. It would've have been great to be there.

There are a thousand great places to go on the Southside and its is pretty close to the arena. Only a short train ride away. Its full of bars and I can guarentee everyone will be filled with Pens fans ready to watch the game. You might want to try Marios, or Smoking Joes. If you are in the Shadyside area then Buffalo Blues is pretty good. They have an amazing TV system there and pretty decent wings. Downtown though is a tough call as far as bars. You want to avoid the bars on Liberty Ave (trust me).

thanks to pipes and bread - i should be all set.

and i agree on game 3's atmosphere - when the announcer remarked that the noise in the arena was "deafening" he didn't sound like a guy who was just hyping the event ... he sounded like he was in pain.

bread is right, the South Side is great, I used to live down there ... not too many "sports" bars but lots of choices and a really diverse crowd. If you decide to go that route, try to eat at Fatheads ... really good stuff.

awesome - the plan right now is to take in some atmosphere at the pre-game joint (super bowl) and then decamp to the southside, where we'll hit fat head's and mario's.

thanks again, gents.

Archived