This Day in Sabres History :: February 20

PASabreFan

February 20, 1974

The Sabres lose to the Maple Leafs 4-2 at Maple Leaf Gardens. Despite a jaw injury that kept him on the bench for most of the third period, defenseman Tim Horton is named the game's third star.

February 20, 2004

Daniel Briere scores 3:01 into overtime at HSBC Arena as the Sabres defeat the Lightning 4-3 to extend their unbeaten streak to six games.

February 20, 1974

The Sabres lose to the Maple Leafs 4-2 at Maple Leaf Gardens. Despite a jaw injury that kept him on the bench for most of the third period, defenseman Tim Horton is named the game's third star.

Sad day hearing the news of Tims crash. The guy was a player. I remember a quote after a fight with a Shultz from Philly he was asked what he thought of this supposed strong guy his reply was " I have had better fights with my wife"

I'm far too young to have had the Timmy Ho-Ho experience, but my old man recounted the day of his death for me between periods earlier this year. I had no idea the scene of the car crash was so grizzly, and that Horton had been decapitated.

My father worked on the bridges at the time, and apparently it was made quite clear early on that the destruction was total. Only knowing the periphery, it was something to hear the whole story.

I still remember putting up a tribute bulletin board to Tim at Blessed Sacrament School - 7th grade. Hard to believe it has been 32 years. Although his best playing days were clearly as a Leaf, Horton was very important to the quick development of a young team in Buffalo. His presence, as short as it was, likely were significant to the '75 Cup Final run.

I still remember putting up a tribute bulletin board to Tim at Blessed Sacrament School - 7th grade. Hard to believe it has been 32 years. Although his best playing days were clearly as a Leaf, Horton was very important to the quick development of a young team in Buffalo. His presence, as short as it was, likely were significant to the '75 Cup Final run.

Blessed Sacrament? In Kenmore? I went there too ... class of 1984 ... and now we are both transplanted in Tennessee? That is borderline creepy ... :blink: ;)

good God ... anyone else? If one of the nuns comes out of the woodwork and starts posting, I am outta here ...

BtP - I think that is the least of our worries - most of the nuns that taught there while I was a student are no longer nuns. If one does start posting , however I'll be hot on your tail on my way out.

Little did I dream that my 32 year old tribute to #2 would uncover a grammar school link to 3 Tennesseans! BSS couldn't have had 350 students when I was there and it sure didn't have a preschool.