Examples of Tom Golisano's Cheapness

The_Swannie_House

The point is, and has been all along, that if we don't learn form our mistakes, and choose to just chalk them up to a missed save here or there, then we are destined to repeat them. I don't believe "cheapness" was a good choice of words and would have probably chosen to ignore this thread if Nod didn't come out and spill his obvious management propaganda.

Oh, is THAT the point? I've been wondering what your point is.

And I disagree. You think "our mistakes" are managerial. I think "our mistakes" are soft performances by a few key slumping players this season. Some if it might be due to fatigue (Miller) or perhaps the constantly changing lines and chemistry issues due to the injuries we sustained this year.

RE: "management propoganda"...again, this is not the reaction I'd expect from a rational adult, or "businessman". To cheer the constant deriding of management despite all the reasons they deserve our respect, and to then call any support of them "propoganda"...it's laughable.

And again, you wouldn't have typed ANY of this just four little shootouts had gone differently.

Losing Drury hurt, but it was probably going to happen no matter what Darcy did. They didn't make a great effort to extend Briere because they figured, rightly, that Roy had more upside, was a more complete player, and could be had more cheaply, which will put them in a good position to reload this offseason while extending key players like Pommer and (arguably) Miller. I think Miller had an off year - maybe it will allow the Sabres to not have to overpay for him. I believe the best is yet to come for Ryan.

Oh, is THAT the point? I've been wondering what your point is.

And I disagree. You think "our mistakes" are managerial. I think "our mistakes" are soft performances by a few key slumping players this season. Some if it might be due to fatigue (Miller) or perhaps the constantly changing lines and chemistry issues due to the injuries we sustained this year.

RE: "management propoganda"...again, this is not the reaction I'd expect from a rational adult, or "businessman". To cheer the constant deriding of management despite all the reasons they deserve our respect, and to then call any support of them "propoganda"...it's laughable.

And again, you wouldn't have typed ANY of this just four little shootouts had gone differently. Losing Drury hurt, but it was probably going to happen no matter what Darcy did. They didn't make a great effort to extend Briere because they figured, rightly, that Roy had more upside, was a more complete player, and could be had more cheaply, which will put them in a good position to reload this offseason while extending key players like Pommer and (arguably) Miller. I think Miller had an off year - maybe it will allow the Sabres to not have to overpay for him. I believe the best is yet to come for Ryan.

This is exactly the kind of response I would expect from a sports novice. If Mr. Golisano buys the notion that it all came down to "four little shootouts, " he knows less about sports than I give him credit for. Everyone that doesn't make the playoffs or misses out on home ice advantage can point to a few things here and there. All the Sabres shortcomings are symptoms of the same thing, a lack of willingness to make a difference by players either unwilling to accept the responsibility to make a difference or incapable of making that difference.

The injuries are another joke. This team struggled throughout the year long before injuries became a factor, but I know we will hear all about the injuries in their state of the Sabres' address.

Also,

I do not cheer the constant deriding of management and have gone to great pains to distance myself from those that do. The record shows that they have spent money, but they have spent it badly, have constantly bemoaned their surprise at were the market has gone and have basically screwed up with four decisions that have cost this franchise greatly and deprived the fans of what we yearn for;

1) Choosing Kotalik over Dumont

2) Signing Connolly when no one would have touched him

3) Screwing up the Drury negotiations ( which Larry has apparently acknowledged but apparently forgot to tell Tom)

4) Not taking Campbell up on an offer when he proposed it this summer

I find it interesting you avoid the question of the apparent $30 million in expenses the last two years that apparently resulted in them only breaking even for three years running.

We will see if they "reload" as you say this off season.

Finally,

You keep referring to all this respect they deserve like my questioning their business decisions with regards to the Sabres somehow diminishes the respect I have for all the good Mr. Golisano has done. I am sure that Mr. Golisano does his charitable work for all the right reasons and not so no one will question anything else he does. My use of the term "management propaganda " may be harsh, but quite frankly I felt embarassed for him watching those "interviews" and felt it was beneath him.

Archived