Too young, not ready

Buffalo Fan

Since the crash, I haven't kept up with the boards lately ( like anyone cares), but it seems like this team lacks the leadership, but not the skill. Lindy always will provide the emotion, but he needs a proven veteran to keep an even keel. Thoughts?

I think the skill is there the toughness isnt there but it is getting better with Bernier and Weber..They definatley need a leader...If it was therre we would have seen it this year and we havent..It has to be priority number 1 this offseason..Either the big bruising Defensman leader type or the big number 1 center..Either or I will be happy with...Solid thoughts...

Watching the Sabres in the Sekera, Weber and Funk era, I get the impression that they are looking to build the franchise around solid defense with these guys as standards in the next couple of years. Looking at the forwards they choose to sign long term vs. those they choose to let go, the age range makes sense (Roy and Vanek). They are cutting ties with anyone in their late twenties and older, with Hecht as the exception. With that in mind, you can probably bank on Pommers signing long-term as well as Kaleta, Bernier, Paille, and Paetsch at some point. Possibly Stafford as well but I'm really not sure I like that guy. Also, Miller will sign to be a part of the future.

As far as bringing in a leader to help these guys grow, your guess is as good as mine. The way things have gone the last couple of years its difficult to imagine them bringing anyone in.

They are cutting ties with anyone in their late twenties and older, with Hecht as the exception. With that in mind, you can probably bank on Pommers signing long-term as well as Kaleta, Bernier, Paille, and Paetsch at some point. Possibly Stafford as well but I'm really not sure I like that guy. Also, Miller will sign to be a part of the future.

Is there any certainty to any of these guys being signed? Sure we'd love for just about everybody to stay, but who knows who we will/can keep?

This team needs more than just one leader, we need chemistry, we've brought so many different guys up for different games this season it's hard to keep up. We need solid defensive lines that can work together every night (as much as possible).

Archived