Pens Staying in Pittsburgh

Bmwolf21

Rumors or true? We'll see if/when the NHL actually announces this:

The NHL, the governor, players, fans & pretty much nobody wanted the Penguins to leave Pittsburgh, but economics almost made it a reality. Now it looks like the danger has passed.

Multiple media outlets reported on Monday night that the team, state and local leaders have reached an agreement on a new arena that will keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh. KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh first reported the agreement on its Web site.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, citing unidentified sources, reported that the sides have reached agreement on terms for a new arena that will be ready for operation for the 2009-10 season.

The paper reports that the agreement includes a 30-year lease.

Penguins officials didn't immediately return calls from The Associated Press for comment, nor did a spokesman for Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato.

A spokesman for Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said he knew nothing of a deal.

"I never heard that. I heard nothing like that," Dick Skrinjar told AP.

A spokesman for Gov. Ed Rendell refused to confirm the deal.

"I can't confirm a report of any settlement," Chuck Ardo said to AP. "The sides have communicated since last Thursday. This is an ongoing process."

Sources told KDKA that the price tag for the project will exceed the $290 million originally discussed. The station reports that a meeting between all sides will be held on Wednesday to formalize the agreement.

LINK

Man, I'm so tired of this "wow this is great they are staying, all bow to Mario". Skrew them. Why is this a big deal? Go if you want to go, it's capitalism, you think you can do better in KC, seeya. Same goes for the Bills and the Amerks, and yeah, if it happens, the Sabres. Sabres are a good example, put a freakin' winning team/quality product on the ice/field, and that solves your revenue problem. If you don't know how to run a business, see Donner in Rochester, then that's your problem don't come crying to the tax payers.

Man, I'm so tired of this "wow this is great they are staying, all bow to Mario". Skrew them. Why is this a big deal? Go if you want to go, it's capitalism, you think you can do better in KC, seeya. Same goes for the Bills and the Amerks, and yeah, if it happens, the Sabres. Sabres are a good example, put a freakin' winning team/quality product on the ice/field, and that solves your revenue problem. If you don't know how to run a business, see Donner in Rochester, then that's your problem don't come crying to the tax payers.

But the problem in Pittsburgh is not fan support, and having Crosby has packed the building and sold tons of merchandise.

The problem is the arena. Its the oldest in the league and is not in good shape. There only request is for a new arena, and if the City isn't going to support them in building one, they were going to go to a place that will

But the problem in Pittsburgh is not fan support, and having Crosby has packed the building and sold tons of merchandise.

The problem is the arena. Its the oldest in the league and is not in good shape. There only request is for a new arena, and if the City isn't going to support them in building one, they were going to go to a place that will

My house is 10 years old and starting to show its age... Can I get my town to build me a new one? I will pay 1000 and agree to make 100 dollars of capital improvements every year!

I pick up litter around my house left by other slob neighbors...

<_< ;) <_<

Ahhhh... Such is the life of "blackmail" and corporate welfare...

I am sure the taxpayers will bear the brunt of this one! Even the non-hockey fan taxpayer or others in the state...

Exactly!

I 100% agree... It is just friggan sports and a stupid game... There is so much more in society to put importance on besides this crap...

And... I would feel sad if it were the Sabres/Bills leaving... I would say see ya later! Don't let the door hit you in the arse! No reason to yank at the heart strings and be hijacked by these sport's special interests...

My house is 10 years old and starting to show its age... Can I get my town to build me a new one? I will pay 1000 and agree to make 100 dollars of capital improvements every year!

Give it a try

I'm sure if you brought the town any type of revenue comparable to what a Pro Sports franchise does, or represented the City on a national level they just might think about your offer. But you don't and they do

Give it a try

I'm sure if you brought the town any type of revenue comparable to what a Pro Sports franchise does, or represented the City on a national level they just might think about your offer. But you don't and they do

And that is the MYTH... They don't really either... Compared what is returned... So many better ways to spend the money!

Fire away... AP!

:D

And that is the MYTH... They don't really either... Compared what is returned... So many better ways to spend the money!

Fire away... AP!

:D

OK, then what should they spend their money on?

The City had the choice to let someone else build the arena (Isle of Capri) and they turned it down. The Penguins don't have a choice, they can't keep playing in their current arena, so one has to be built. Since no one was willing to build one in Pittsburgh, they had to look elsewhere

This may be a completly different story had the City not just payed for a new stadium (or a big part of) for the Pirates and Steelers when their buildings became old. But if the City shows support for them, why not their hockey team too? Thats just like your parents helping your 2 older siblings purchase a home, and then tell you to pay for your own. Or another example would be your parents paying your older siblings to live at home, but telling you to get a job/pay rent. I'm surte your not going to stay at home then

OK, then what should they spend their money on?

The City had the choice to let someone else build the arena (Isle of Capri) and they turned it down. The Penguins don't have a choice, they can't keep playing in their current arena, so one has to be built. Since no one was willing to build one in Pittsburgh, they had to look elsewhere

This may be a completly different story had the City not just payed for a new stadium (or a big part of) for the Pirates and Steelers when their buildings became old. But if the City shows support for them, why not their hockey team too? Thats just like your parents helping your 2 older siblings purchase a home, and then tell you to pay for your own. Or another example would be your parents paying your older siblings to live at home, but telling you to get a job/pay rent. I'm surte your not going to stay at home then

Fair enough...

There has got to be a breaking point... Just let them leave.

Grant you... I like the sports and all... The special interest and the over spending even gets to me. It is really about prestige and what the city wants to show off... It doesn't help that other cities do nothing but drive things up...

A major city I can see... But, when a city like BFLO gets held hostage by this special interest and gets caught up in "Jonsing" with other areas... That is a shame and a great disservice to the over taxed constituents.

Take the Bills... They want to move to Toronto... Fine move to Toronto... I know that is blasphemy.

What makes BFLO/WNY any different than the Quad Cities?... That is a fine minor league area?

Grant you... I think the Sabres are probably the most legitimate of the two in BFLO... Actually, If BFLO still had the Braves... I would rank them higher than the Bills... Even though I don't like basketaball... IMO, there are reasons for this... But, I have ranted long enough... :oops:

Just my crazy opinion AP! :D :D

Oh... This from "Sabre Rattling"... I couldn't agree more!

The future of the Pens was bound up in a negotiation that, in my mind, doesn?t have any good guys involved, much like the movie quoted above and finally came to a conclusion early yesterday. I have a real issue with taxpayer-funded stadiums for private sports teams, so while today everyone is congratulating themselves on a job well done, in the end, everyone loses, but that?s what they wanted isn?t it?

In the movie, everyone,except the Victim, Delilah, wanted justice, revenge, or just plain money. Here, everyone wanted the Pens to stay in a market that couldn?t stay in without other people?s money. I fail to see where the victory is, personally. So, which part was Mario playing in this? Bill Munny? (the ?hero?) Lil? Bill? (the ?villain?) or Strawberry Alice (the ?inciter?)? What I do know, though, is that the state of Pennsylvania is Delilah (the ?victim?), Gary Bettman is Skinny (the bar-owner), and I feel like Ned, commenting about it.

The problem is when the teams try to hold the City hostage to get the deal done. They keep saying they are going to move, visit other places and try to get offers, and then go back to the City and tell them if they don't get what they want they are leaving.

In this instance, The penguins desperately need a new arena otherwise they really can't keep playing. The State paid for new stadiums for the Steelers and a team that would rank below the penguins because of their futility over the last decade or more, the pirates, but they won't put funding out for the pens who desperately need a new arena.

This isn't like, just making up an example, TG goes to the Mayors office and Demands that the City pay for a new arena in Buffalo because TG doesn't like HSBC anymore because they put the goalie pad on wrong on the goalie over the front entrance (its true, check it out) and its more then 10 years old so he wants something new (maybe because it reminds him and others of the Regas area) so he says he'll move the team if he doesn't get a new arena built

As for your comment ranking the Bills below the Sabres, and even below the Braves, that has to be more of a personnal opinion then fact. The Bills have been on top for years, even during horrible ones, and it took the Sabres a stanley cup run to overtake a rebuilding Bills team. If the Bills return to the playoffs, and The Sabres don't stay competing for the cup every year, you will see the popularity go back to the Bills. As for the Braves, maybe they would rank higher because Basketball is a more popular sport across the country

Archived