Injuries a crutch?

smallmarketguy

I gotta agree with this columnist. It sure looked like the Sabres used injuries as an excuse to coast through two games in Toronto and at home against the Canadians last weekend. Two teams fighting for their playoff lives and what do we do? Coast.

Am I missing a smiley or something, or do you really feel that the effort was bad in three straight wins last week? Games we won 6-1, 8-5 and 3-1?

here

So set aside the excuse that Buffalo is still without half its roster for a second and it?s easier to focus on the fact that Buffalo still, despite its lofty spot atop the Eastern Conference, rarely plays with intensity for 60 minutes. Because of their aptitude for scoring in bunches, the Sabres seem to float through large sections each night, using Ryan Miller as the ultimate get-out-of-jail-free card.

I thought this was the main point of the article, but what do I know.

If this is the main point, it's a pretty assinine one.

Here's a news flash, even if Buffalo plays with intensity, they can still be outplayed and even beaten. They're not the Canadiens of the '70s or the Oilers of the '80s. They don't so outclass their opponents that they're able to automatically nullify their efforts with hard work. Other teams also have talented players, players who are more than able to knock the Sabres back on their heels.

When I read crap like this, I remind myself that the Sabres were outshot when they beat the Flyers 9-1. And that they eliminated the Senators last season by winning four one-goal games.

The great thing about the Sabres isn't that they dominate every minute of the game. Their style of play doesn't really allow that. The best thing about them is that they respond when it counts most.

They are a counter-punching team. And for the most part, they're damn good at it.

Archived