We have depth at Defense!!

Corp000085

We've been complaining about this since last may... Now, we have depth at defense. I know nothing about the guys the sabres brought in, except they play defense and they're not going to start for the sabres. It's great to have acuqired that depth in case mckee gets a staph infection, kalinin breaks his ankle, and tallinder breaks his arm, and numminen goes down with a heart problem.

They did give up goaltender depth, so the armchair GMs can complain about that if conklin is called up to play, but the sabres are now set at forward and set at defense and they have cap space. This was a good day.

I'm not sure that they two guys on D can be called "prospects" anymore. They seem kinda gettin old to fit in that category. Lehtonen is like 28 and Helbling is 26. Seems like if they were going to make it they should have by now. Also, are they really going to give us "depth" at the NHL level? Not that I know too much about them, but I think they are more to help the Amerks than us. Although, I guess since they are that old they have more experience than the kids that are incubating down there in case our D is hexed again. Does anybody have a good take on these guys?

I'm not sure that they two guys on D can be called "prospects" anymore. They seem kinda gettin old to fit in that category. Lehtonen is like 28 and Helbling is 26. Seems like if they were going to make it they should have by now. Also, are they really going to give us "depth" at the NHL level? Not that I know too much about them, but I think they are more to help the Amerks than us. Although, I guess since they are that old they have more experience than the kids that are incubating down there in case our D is hexed again. Does anybody have a good take on these guys?

i think lehtonen was brought it just to give the amerks a stable guy they can count on since we have literally raped them in the last weeks. we dont want to sour that relationship, and since that trade was relatively cheap, i think it was just a good depth move that helped the entire organization.

yeah Corp, for once im really satisfied with our defensive depth, because before this, if we went past paestch all we had was ahl rooks. i assume that the two new d-men have stable play to hold down a few minutes in the NHL and can grow from our great coaching (ruff and cunneyworth)

I don't know bupkis about these 2, but I do know that the Sabres 8, 9, and 10 D-men were AHL rookies this morning. #'s 8 and 9 now have solid minor league experience and have a little NHL experience (#8 does at least, maybe 9 as well).

The Sabres had a significant drop off from 6 to 7 last year. This year the drop off hits 1 slot lower.

The Sabres had to go to #10 last year in the playoffs. Having an 8 and 9 that (most likely) won't be absolutely awed that they are in the NHL playoffs, should they be needed absolutely have improved the Sabres depth on the blueline.

Archived