The Neil Hit

thesportsbuff

http://jewofcanada.reshasha.com/neilhit.wmv

(Need Windows Media Player)

Sorry for poor audio but it's only a few seconds long so no biggie. I don't understand how Ottawa fans are saying the hit wasn't late! The puck is leaving Drury's stick before Neil even makes a motion towards him! :wallbash:

I think there's little question that the hit was late. Everyone can agree on that... The other side of the argument seems to deflect from that fact and try to claim that the hit "wasn't dirty" and that our goons were sent out against heatly and spezza.

If we can forget all that other crap, YES the elbow was down, YES the hit was late, YES the hit was premeditated, NO there was no penalty called, and that's the problem that causes the argument to persist. Had the ref (or the other 3, which all the stories seem to neglect to state) had his eye on the game instead of the puck, he'd have called a penalty.

Neil's own words are all the indictment you need that it was a late hit. He said and I paraphrase (but he did say this) 'at first I thought it was a step late, but after looking at the replay it was a good hit. I lead the league in hitting...'

So if his initial reaction was it was late, then IT WAS LATE. Of course you are going to say otherwise later, but when he did it, he knew it.. Everything that has been said subsequent to this is image and damage control.

Archived