This Day in Sabres History: February 14th

PASabreFan

February 14, 1977

The Sabres call up 21-year-old goaltender Bob Sauve from the minors to back up another rookie, Don Edwards, in goal.

February 14, 1995

The Sabres send defensemen Phillipe Boucher and Denis Tsygurov and goalie Grant Fuhr to the L.A. Kings for Alexei Zhitnik, goalie Robb Stauber, defenseman Charlie Huddy and a fifth-round draft choice that turned into the unforgettable Marian Menhart (yes, the mom on "Happy Days").

February 14, 2000

Dominik Hasek announces that he will not retire after the 1999-2000 season, as he had announced the previous summer. Hasek says his decision to unretire started stretching in his head back on October 29 just minutes after he tore 90% of his groin from the bone late in a game against the Florida Panthers at home. After leaving the Buffalo lockerroom and returning to the bench to watch the overtime that night, the idea of coming back for one more (!) season immediately crystallized in his mind. "I knew it is going to be bad, I knew it right away. I just said, 'Oh, it's going to be tough (to retire under these circumstances)," Hasek recalls. GM Darcy Regier repeats his assertion that he has never had a discussion with any team about consummating a trade for Hasek and also strongly hints that the organization would protect both him and Martin Biron, who leads the league in shutouts at the time, in the coming summer's expansion draft. When you have the past MVP of the league coming back, that's a pretty valuable asset. Certainly there is some cost on the expansion side if we protect two goaltenders, but it's well worth it, believe me, says the GM. In originally announcing his retirement, Hasek cited concerns that his son was becoming too Americanized. On this day, Hasek said he and his wife would hire a tutor to help his son learn the Czech language and culture. Michal, now 16 or so, is still a "Western" boy.

February 14, 2004

At the Air Canada Center in Toronto, goaltender Mika Noronen is credited with a goal when he is the last player to have touched the puck before Robert Reichel scores into his own empty net on an ill-fated pass from behind the Buffalo cage. The Sabres win 6-4 for their seventh win in eight games. Noronen is the first Sabre goalie and eighth in NHL history to score, but he doesn't get to hear his name announced over the PA system. At first, Dmitri Kalinin is credited with the tally. "It's my first goal ever,'' he says. "Hopefully, it's not the last one.'' But the goal is not the biggest story of the night. Noronen replaces Marty Biron after Biron gives up three goals in the second period, but the Sabres come back from 3-0 down to stun the Leafs.

Archived