[Sabre Rattling]Searching for Stevie Y

SabresBeat

if you consider the example of Steve Yzerman, you chose Drury.

That's the basis of the argument for Drury, and it's hard to dispute. Drury's been a journeyman, coming from Calgary and cutting his teeth in Colorado. His experience in Colorado is significant on two fronts: First, he was a Calder winner- rookie of the year. So even early on his ability and leadership were recognized.

Second, he was able to observe Yzerman at his peak- remember that the rivalry between Colorado and Detroit was one of the most heated in the NHL when he came up, and Yzerman was his team's greatest adversary. Just as important, though, is he played under Joe Sakic, another very strong yet very quiet leader. I am a Detroit fan, and even when the Avs were the team I hated most, I had the utmost respect for Sakic. Drury learned from one of the best.

So, given that argument, I can't take issue. The big part of the argument, though, is the first word: if. The assumption here is that what was right for Detroit is right for Buffalo. One thing to consider, though, is that Yzerman suffered through a lot of terrible Detroit teams before reaching the pinnacle, and that in part built his character. He also fought through knee injuries thought to be career-ending at least twice: very early and very late in his career. So that rock didn't just come from nowhere; it was forged out of adversity.

Also consider that Yzerman played his entire career for Detroit, so his level of commitment to the team and the city were immense. One of the scariest times when I lived in Detroit was when trade talks with Ottawa surfaced that would have allowed Stevie Y to finish his career in the area he grew up. The talks were thought to be serious, but in the end Stevie stayed with the Wings. And he has stayed with the team as a VP in the front office. Neither of the players in question can be thought of as The Franchise in the way Yzerman was in Detroit. The level of commitment from the Wings to Yzerman, and Yzerman to the Wings, cannot be duplicated with either Drury or Briere. So in comparing Drury to Yzerman, it isn't quite apples-to-apples.

You can try to sign either or both players to longterm contracts, but it is getting increasingly difficult to hang on to individual players, as well as keep a team together, under the salary cap. So rather than considering longevity, perhaps consideration should be given to the here and now.

But even if you take the Yzerman formula away and look at a shorter time frame, it's hard to argue against Drury. His scoring may be streaky, but on the ice, shift-to-shift, he is steady as a rock. When he isn't scoring, you know he will again at some point.

You can make almost the same argument for Briere, though, which brings you to a stalemate. In the end, though, my perception is that Briere is more of an up-and-down player, emotionally. When you get to the playoffs, steady leadership, as shown by the Yzermans, Sakics, etc., is what wins championships.

I think the Sabres need to find a way to keep both players. But if there's only room for one, I would reluctantly pick Drury. And I say reluctantly because I fully expect that if Briere were to go somewhere else, he will be insanely successful.

Tough call.

Archived