Announcers

Allan in MD

Had to watch the game on the Caps network and, unfortunately, had to put up with lame-brain Craig Laughlin's continued attempts to defend Ovechkin. Last night he said Ovie had tried to pull up; yeah right. "Laucher," as he is known in the DC area (rhyms with laugher), also, as I recall, had no problem with the hit right after it occurred. He also has little problem with Fitzpatrick being an all star because "that's the way it is." And he mentioned that Spacek was signed to replace Fitzpatrick (not McKee).

Instead of the above, I would love to have heard Rick J's. calls on the Sabres' goals

I spent too many years listening to Caps games (are they still on 980?), attending, or watching them on TV. Horrible announcers and horrible coverage in the Post. But, there's a reason why:

They're the fifth-ranked sport in the market, even behind United, and the team has a very small, but very loyal, fan base. Seriously, while I'd love to say that hockey belongs in the American capital, clearly the market says otherwise.

In 1998, the first-round and second-round games didn't sell out. One of the second-round games, I had forty--count 'em FORTY free tix--and I literally could not give them away, even at the top of the H Street exit from the Metro. Someone somewhere has the stack of tickets I left behind on top of a newspaper box. Semifinals sold out, but there was a large Sabrefan contingent at the games (somehow there weren't enough Boston or Ottawa natives in DC for the first two rounds). The finals against Detroit, of course, were sold out with tix to pols and media stars. If the finals were against L.A. instead of Detroit, it would have been perfect in terms of star bullsh*t.

Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain when it comes to Washington. It is not, and will never be, a hockey town, despite the small group of loyalists there.

I spent too many years listening to Caps games (are they still on 980?), attending, or watching them on TV. Horrible announcers and horrible coverage in the Post. But, there's a reason why:

They're the fifth-ranked sport in the market, even behind United, and the team has a very small, but very loyal, fan base. Seriously, while I'd love to say that hockey belongs in the American capital, clearly the market says otherwise.

In 1998, the first-round and second-round games didn't sell out. One of the second-round games, I had forty--count 'em FORTY free tix--and I literally could not give them away, even at the top of the H Street exit from the Metro. Someone somewhere has the stack of tickets I left behind on top of a newspaper box. Semifinals sold out, but there was a large Sabrefan contingent at the games (somehow there weren't enough Boston or Ottawa natives in DC for the first two rounds). The finals against Detroit, of course, were sold out with tix to pols and media stars. If the finals were against L.A. instead of Detroit, it would have been perfect in terms of star bullsh*t.

Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain when it comes to Washington. It is not, and will never be, a hockey town, despite the small group of loyalists there.

I couldn't agree with you more. Washington is, and always will be, a Redskin town, for better or worse. The Skins lose a game and get, literally, three pages of coverage in the Post, which is a highly overrated newspaper (but that's another story). The Caps make the playoffs and are lucky to get half a page. A few years back, they started a local minor league hockey team just outside of DC, which should have been a draw with its low priced tickets and easy access. The Post never said boo about the team. I even called the team and the Post and asked, in an attempt to send a message, if the team was a myth. The team folded in short order.

And you are right about the announcers covering the Caps. They have, from day one, been less than steller. My recent posts about Craig Laughlin, who does the tv color, have been kind. He continues to make every excuse in the book for Ovechkin and his mugging of Briere.

A big part of the problem was that early-on, those running the team did alot, unwittingly, to torpedo interest in the new franchise, such as wasting the first pick in the draft, in the Caps initial season, to draft Mike Marson, a black kid who the powers that be likely felt would attract local blacks to the arena. The kid couldn't play and local blacks, by and large, continue to say "what's hockey."

I yearn for the good old days, growing up, at the Aud.

I couldn't agree with you more. Washington is, and always will be, a Redskin town, for better or worse. The Skins lose a game and get, literally, three pages of coverage in the Post, which is a highly overrated newspaper (but that's another story). The Caps make the playoffs and are lucky to get half a page. A few years back, they started a local minor league hockey team just outside of DC, which should have been a draw with its low priced tickets and easy access. The Post never said boo about the team. I even called the team and the Post and asked, in an attempt to send a message, if the team was a myth. The team folded in short order.

And you are right about the announcers covering the Caps. They have, from day one, been less than steller. My recent posts about Craig Laughlin, who does the tv color, have been kind. He continues to make every excuse in the book for Ovechkin and his mugging of Briere.

A big part of the problem was that early-on, those running the team did alot, unwittingly, to torpedo interest in the new franchise, such as wasting the first pick in the draft, in the Caps initial season, to draft Mike Marson, a black kid who the powers that be likely felt would attract local blacks to the arena. The kid couldn't play and local blacks, by and large, continue to say "what's hockey."

I yearn for the good old days, growing up, at the Aud.

I do NOT miss listening to Laughlin. The idiot could be describing basketball games, for all I know, just from listening to him.

Marson, not such a great pick--but their first pick ever was Greg Joly, not Marson. Still, there were some good years in the 80s, and there was that GREAT playoff game against the Isles (Bob Mason--if I'm not mistaken, surrendered the game in 3OT to a LaFontaine goal). That game--I was in my early teens and stayed up for all of it--did a lot for my interest in the sport. And their old unis were classics. What made them go with the Judas Priest Eagles? I'll never understand, but then again, I follow a team with the Sluggalo.

I do NOT miss listening to Laughlin. The idiot could be describing basketball games, for all I know, just from listening to him.

Marson, not such a great pick--but their first pick ever was Greg Joly, not Marson. Still, there were some good years in the 80s, and there was that GREAT playoff game against the Isles (Bob Mason--if I'm not mistaken, surrendered the game in 3OT to a LaFontaine goal). That game--I was in my early teens and stayed up for all of it--did a lot for my interest in the sport. And their old unis were classics. What made them go with the Judas Priest Eagles? I'll never understand, but then again, I follow a team with the Sluggalo.

I met Joe Beninati the other day. He's a nice guy, not too full of himself. Really short, though. I think he calls a good game. It's Laughlin that I can't stand. That voice just rips through me like a jagged butcher knife! :death:

Archived