Powerplay struggling

Bmwolf21

we need to work the side boards and down low on the agressive PK teams. Quick passes between the pointmen and the forwards working the side boards are what is needed to get chances againest that type of PK, and simply put kotalik and even pommer are not the pointman to work that type of powerplay.

we need to work the side boards and down low on the agressive PK teams. Quick passes between the pointmen and the forwards working the side boards are what is needed to get chances againest that type of PK, and simply put kotalik and even pommer are not the pointman to work that type of powerplay.

That is probably why we saw Campbell and Kalinin working the points for the number 1 PP unit. By the way, I thought Kalinin looked pretty good on the point last night. He made a couple of very good pinches to keep the play alive. However, next game I am going to count the number of times I hear "Kalinin's shot goes wide," and "Kalinin's shot, over the top of the net." :lol:

Interesting stat: the Sabres' penalty killing unit this season is off to a better start than last year, when it finished near the top of the league. Lindy and staff are good at making adjustments.

Very good find. Where did you find that stat? I would be interested to know a lot of our stats compared to last year at this time.

According to the News the team has converted just 3 of their last 36 PP's - and one of those was a 5-on-3 against the Panthers. I know the team is still 10th in the league at just over 18% efficiency, but there is a lot of room for improvement, especially lately. To what do you attribute this power outage, and what would you like to see the team do better?

Personally, I think it's a couple things - teams have caught on to the Sabres' PP strategy, especially working to take away the shot when Pommer or Kotalik are on the point. I also think Hecht had it right when he said that the team seems to be looking for the pretty play rather than the practical one. Personally, I wish the Sabres had a true PP quarterback out there, someone who could man the point and distribute the puck (I shudder when I see Kalinin on the point for a PP) but I'd also like to see the Sabres try to work Pommer or Big Al into the high slot where they can get a quick shot from a little closer.

Thoughts?

I agree. I thought the Canadiens were extremely aggressive in attacking the points, which gave Bufalo trouble in moving the puck around ther perimeter. The Habs got their sticks into passing alleys and we were not aggressive enough on the forecheck when the puck was dumped in. BTW, I was at the Blud Jackets game last night and saw them score 5 powerplay goals against the Sens.

Everyone seems to be talking about how bad the dump-ins are, and I agree, and I think they need to figure that out. It seems to me like they are trying too hard to be a puck possession team and carry it in too often.

Earlier in the season, they seemed to adjust more effortlessly between being a dump-n-chase team versus a puck possession team. Maybe they need to work on reading the PK and the puck carrier needs to more effectively make his intentions known as to whether he plans on carrying it in (meaning the other members should be nearby for a pass when he gets in trouble) versus shooting it in (and the rest of the unit should be streaking in to recover the dump-in).

Or maybe they are telegraphing what they are doing too clearly and the PK is reading it?

Archived