Satellite Hot Stove

Taro T

2nd intermission of the Leafs game SHS said that the US has reduced their potential player list to 30 players. Miller is one of 4 goalies still on the list (the others are DiPietro, Esche, and Grahame). Miller and Esche are coming off injuries and the team will be announced on the 19th. I think DiPietro, Miller, and Esche would be the 3 if all had been healthy, but don't know how it will work out for Ryan.

I couldn't find a list of who is on the US's 30 man semifinalist list, so I don't know Drury's status.

They also said that they expect the league to do away with the trapezoid behind the net next year.

Also, revenue is expected to be high enough this year that the $39MM salary cap will not go down next year. That is not good news for Buffalo (well, it IS good news, but the Sabres were one of the teams that had been expecting the salary cap to go down next year and have been shaping their roster accordingly). The revenue projections will be presented at an owners meeting later this week.

2nd intermission of the Leafs game SHS said that the US has reduced their potential player list to 30 players. Miller is one of 4 goalies still on the list (the others are DiPietro, Esche, and Grahame). Miller and Esche are coming off injuries and the team will be announced on the 19th. I think DiPietro, Miller, and Esche would be the 3 if all had been healthy, but don't know how it will work out for Ryan.

I couldn't find a list of who is on the US's 30 man semifinalist list, so I don't know Drury's status.

They also said that they expect the league to do away with the trapezoid behind the net next year.

Also, revenue is expected to be high enough this year that the $39MM salary cap will not go down next year. That is not good news for Buffalo (well, it IS good news, but the Sabres were one of the teams that had been expecting the salary cap to go down next year and have been shaping their roster accordingly). The revenue projections will be presented at an owners meeting later this week.

Is the Revenue Share a fixed rate or amount?

If the Sabres project a small profit this season? Does that include their expected Revenue Share?

That aside. Should the amount of the Cap even affect the Sabres? They seem to be staying within their plan and I wouldn't expect them to go out and sign any name player in the off season.

Just wondering.

If the Sabres project a small profit this season? Does that include their expected Revenue Share?

That aside. Should the amount of the Cap even affect the Sabres? They seem to be staying within their plan and I wouldn't expect them to go out and sign any name player in the off season.

Just wondering.

I seem to remember Darcy saying in the off season that one of the reasons the Sabres were so quiet this year is because they expected a lot of teams to get themselves in trouble this year, and the unrestricted free agent market would be much better next year.

Just wondering.

No data on revenue sharing. I have not been able to find a copy of the CBA.

As for, "should" the cap affect the Sabres, probably not. "Will" it, if it goes down? Absolutely, and in a good way. If the salary cap went down to, oh say, $35MM then roughly 1/2 the league would be sitting above the salary cap heading into next year. Those teams would have to do some combination of the following: not sign free agents, cut signed players (and be on the hook for 1/3 - 2/3 of the salary and charged that against the cap depending upon the player's salary), or trade away expensive players. The Sabres, sitting ~$28MM would have $7MM available to them under the "new" cap and likely would be planning on increasing their salary to ~$30MM next year. They would have a pretty big smorgasbord in front of them and would be one of the few teams that could bring a plate. Assuming they don't tail off this year, during the off-season they will probably be considered up and comers; i.e., the type of team that a lot of free agents would want to be a part of.

With the cap not appearing to go down this off-season, I still expect Buffalo to increase their salary slightly to ~$30MM, but they won't be able to capitalize on the misfortunes of 1/2 the league.

The lower the cap is, the better positioned the Sabres are.

I still expect Buffalo to increase their salary slightly to ~$30MM,

Depending on which players they keep. There are raises involved whit the players they have now and the players they hope to re-sign. So the Sabres may reach the $30 million without going outside.

I am trying to remember if Regier has ever signed a quality free agent? It's seems the few times he has tried they have gone elsewhere. They signed Teppo this year for $2 million when no other team offered him more then $1 million.

Archived