Sabres Home Opener!!...Not a sell out...

RayFinkle

I posted this in another thread:

Was it a good idea to make the home opener a Gold game? From today's Buffalo News:

For all the Sabres fans who took gleeful jabs at the Hurricanes' inability to sell out some of their playoff games, consider this: The Hurricanes sold out their home opener against the Sabres before tickets went on sale to the general public, giving them a standing-room only crowd of 18,840.

The Sabres, as of Thursday afternoon, still had several hundred tickets available for tonight's home opener against the Montreal Canadiens. The Sabres classified it a "gold game" in their variable ticket-pricing structure, meaning seats cost a premium.

HSBC Arena, whether it fills up or not, still should provide a wild scene tonight.

"Our fans have been waiting all summer and have been geared up," Sabres goalie Ryan Miller said. "They turned out for our training camp and there was excitement around that, so I expect [tonight] there will be real good energy."

I also posted this in another thread...

I'm thinking that if the game was rated Silver, it'd be sold out no problem. Still...it's the only gold game this month, and really the only one that warrants the "distinction". Plus, if there are only about 5-600 tickets available by Thursday night, I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of them gone by gametime. I'm almost positive I remember hearing that last year the Sabres were doing about 1,200 in walk up sales.

The Hurricanes sold out their home opener against the Sabres before tickets went on sale to the general public

Haha, NO they didn't.

There's a difference between claiming a game is sold out and then finding available tickets/seats on GAMEDAY and honestly selling out a game. Releasing tickets in waves and selling out the early waves is not truly selling out a game. They just sold out what was available at the time they made that claim.

Haha, NO they didn't.

There's a difference between claiming a game is sold out and then finding available tickets/seats on GAMEDAY and honestly selling out a game. Releasing tickets in waves and selling out the early waves is not truly selling out a game. They just sold out what was available at the time they made that claim.

every professional sports team does this.

Archived