Salary cap, big contracts, and those left out

frisky

From this article, it says there's still 70 free agents left to sign. Hmm...it sounds like some of the fringe/role players are the ones that are going to be left out in the cold in this new era. With teams signing "star" players to ginormous contracts and the salary cap ceiling, some of those guys probably aren't going to find a home come this fall. Kinda sucks for them how things are turning out. I guess it's great for those that can cash it in but not so for the ones at the bottom.

I think the league and the union had the right idea in limiting how much one player could earn (a %age of each team's cap, if I understand it correctly) but I think they set the percentages too hi. Works out OK for the union, b/c they benefit more by pushing the star players' salaries up, which should drag the lesser players' salaries up as well, but now a lot of guys are being left out in the cold.

From this article, it says there's still 70 free agents left to sign. Hmm...it sounds like some of the fringe/role players are the ones that are going to be left out in the cold in this new era. With teams signing "star" players to ginormous contracts and the salary cap ceiling, some of those guys probably aren't going to find a home come this fall. Kinda sucks for them how things are turning out. I guess it's great for those that can cash it in but not so for the ones at the bottom.

If my math is right, there are still 77 UFA's out there in limbo (although not all of them would get deals in a salary cap-less world, either).

Link

This is where the salary cap hurts guys. The players will get 54% of the league's defined revenues. Whether that gets spread evenly or 60 guys get 40% of the pie and the other 630 or so split the other 60%, their total pie remains the same.

The guys in the middle definitely get squeezed, especially when the league minimum salary went from $185,000 to $450,000.

Archived