Time to Play Fantasy GM

slapshot1619

Considering its Saturday and I'm bored out of my mind at work.... Yes, I'm working on a saturday... Trust me, I DO NOT want to be here. I took the liberty to find the current payroll for the sabres. I also guestimated salaries for players awaiting arbitration/new contracts. Are those salaries fair? In my eyes, yes. In the players' eyes? Who knows? Are these going to be what they get paid? I'd say it makes sense. Take a look and see what you think.

Bold Players are signed and it is their salary per nhlpa.com

Italicized Players are guestimated figures

Centermen

Drury - $3.154M

Briere - $3.75M

Connolly - $1.8M

Gaustad - $500,000

Roy - $841,890

Right Wing

Afinogenov - $2.5M

Dumont - $1.8M

Mair - $750,000

Pominville - $800,000

Left Wing

Vanek - $942,400

Kotalik - $1.4M

Peters - $460,000

Hecht - $2.35M

Defense

Spacek - $3.225M

Numminen - $2.6M

Campbell - $1.25M

Kalinin - $1.6M

Lydman - $1.4M

Tallinder - $1.8M

Paetsch - $495,000

Goalies

Miller - $2.5M

Biron - $2.1M

Did I maybe overcompensate/undercompensate some players? Probably... If I had the 2005 salary structure I'd be able to make a more educated guess, but after numerous google searches I found nothing. So it is what it is. Besides If the FAs are given long term deals, they're pay will escalate as the contract matures. So 1.8 for Tallinder may seem cheap, but he may get a long term deal paying him later. (Trying to be optimistic this team stays pretty much the same folks)These numbers put 22 players on the active roster leaving one opening and a payroll of $38,018,290. (current payroll is $17,418,290 w/ Paetsch on the active roster and one openeing) Which would be where the sabres want to be. I'd think... maybe... 2 - 3 mil less?

Now, if we dump Biron and acquire a cheap $600,000 Backup we'd save $1.5M. If we deal dumont theres your 3mil if we add any salary we pretty much be around the same area.

What do you all think?

At first glance I think that Briere is going to be more expensive ... what you have would be a fair offer but the deals that unrestricted guys are getting have to have his agent's mouth watering for next season if he goes out and puts up 1.2 points per game again ... I think it will take a bit more to get him to sign a long-term deal. I also think Lydman will get more than Kalinin but the total will probably be similar to what you have so that is fine. I think Mair and Pominville will be cheaper than that.

So overall I agree, I think they need to move some cash ... especially if they are going to lock up Briere.

At first glance I think that Briere is going to be more expensive ... what you have would be a fair offer but the deals that unrestricted guys are getting have to have his agent's mouth watering for next season if he goes out and puts up 1.2 points per game again ... I think it will take a bit more to get him to sign a long-term deal. I also think Lydman will get more than Kalinin but the total will probably be similar to what you have so that is fine. I think Mair and Pominville will be cheaper than that.

So overall I agree, I think they need to move some cash ... especially if they are going to lock up Briere.

I think Briere will be more expensive, and Tallinder and Lydman will be much more expensive, especially if they are signed to mulityear deals, because those years will cut into their UFA years. If stiffs like McCabe and Kaberle can get upwards of $5M and $4M respectively, what are better defensemen like Tallinder and Lydman going to get on the open market?

I think Briere will be more expensive, and Tallinder and Lydman will be much more expensive, especially if they are signed to mulityear deals, because those years will cut into their UFA years. If stiffs like McCabe and Kaberle can get upwards of $5M and $4M respectively, what are better defensemen like Tallinder and Lydman going to get on the open market?

But they are not on the open market yet .. Tallinder and Lydman are probably worth much more but for this season coming up that is probably what they will get ... like you said IF they were signed to multiyear deals it would be more, but why would they lock themselves in the way D-men are getting paid? It sucks but if I was a defensemen I would get myself on the open market as quickly as possible. Signing them to long deals will not be easy.

But they are not on the open market yet .. Tallinder and Lydman are probably worth much more but for this season coming up that is probably what they will get ... like you said IF they were signed to multiyear deals it would be more, but why would they lock themselves in the way D-men are getting paid? It sucks but if I was a defensemen I would get myself on the open market as quickly as possible. Signing them to long deals will not be easy.

True. They could want multiyear deals for additional security. But as you note, any UFA years that we buy will cost us dearly.

I could see the Sabres budget go up to 35 million for 06-07, but I don't think Tommy G. is opening up his wallet all the way to 38+ million.

I still believ either Kotalik or Dumont will be gone from the opening day roster and Biron will be replaced by someone making 1/3 of where he is currently at. That should help bring the payroll down in the 35 million range.

I was Basing my assumption for Briere on Horcoff... Though Darcy will probably play the injury card when in negotiations to try to keep out of the 4mil range.

I'm Sorry I do NOT see Tallinder or Lydman hitting 4mil AT ALL. McCabe and Kaberle had 68 and 67points last year respectively... tallinder and lydman?... 21 and 17. Small difference. Tallinder and Lydman are solid all around defenseman and mccabe and kaberle are not slouches either. But i do not see eityher tallinder or lydman making anywhere near mccabe money in the short term. If they come out and score 50 points ok then we'll talk, but right now their both worth no more than 2mil apiece, probably less... IMHO. St.Louis severely overpaid McKee. He wasn't worth the 4mil they paid or else we would have kept him. Hell he even said himself if buffalo put another year on their offer he'd still be around. and we would have had him at 2.5mil

I was Basing my assumption for Briere on Horcoff... Though Darcy will probably play the injury card when in negotiations to try to keep out of the 4mil range.

I'm Sorry I do NOT see Tallinder or Lydman hitting 4mil AT ALL. McCabe and Kaberle had 68 and 67points last year respectively... tallinder and lydman?... 21 and 17. Small difference. Tallinder and Lydman are solid all around defenseman and mccabe and kaberle are not slouches either. But i do not see eityher tallinder or lydman making anywhere near mccabe money in the short term. If they come out and score 50 points ok then we'll talk, but right now their both worth no more than 2mil apiece, probably less... IMHO. St.Louis severely overpaid McKee. He wasn't worth the 4mil they paid or else we would have kept him. Hell he even said himself if buffalo put another year on their offer he'd still be around. and we would have had him at 2.5mil

Tallinder and Lydman did tie for the NHL lead in +/- during the playoffs, while always matched up against the other team's top line.

Archived