Leafs talking to Peca...According to TSN.ca

Goodfella25

For those who haven't read this:

Ice Chips for Friday, July 7

The Maple Leafs are reportedly talking to Michael Peca, who is willing to take a pay cut on his $4 million salary to go to Toronto. - Toronto Star

Before signing Denis Arkhipov on Thursday, Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon said he spoke with representatives for both Yanic Perreault and Mike Peca. As it stands now, the Hawks have Mark Bell, Arkhipov and Patrick Sharp as their top three centres. Tuomo Ruutu could also be a centre, and Bell is, according to the Daily Herald, believed to be one veteran they are trying to trade. - Chicago Daily Herald

According to a knowledgeable source, the possibility of free agent winger Brendan Shanahan signing with the Bruins is now dead. Reportedly, St. Louis and Detroit are in the running for the 37-year-old's services. - Boston Herald

The Red Wings got the results of free-agent goalie Ed Belfour's physical Thursday. And they liked what they saw. General manager Ken Holland said the tests showed Belfour's rehabilitation from back surgery in April has been successful. Belfour could be signed in the next couple of days - Detroit News

Mark Recchi's agent Rick Curran said Thursday that he had spoken with general manager Ray Shero about a possible return to Pittsburgh - Tribune Review

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the Leafs get Peca it won't be as big of a deal as it would have been a few years back, but nonetheless I wouldn't like to see him with the Leafs because I wouldn't mind him back in Buffalo!

Also, do you think Detroit would actually sign Belfour? That seems like a worse move than bringing back Legace to me. Belfour is more washed up than Hasek.

Darcy should be ALL over Peca. I doubt the ego would allow him to do it though.

Please explain why he should be "all over Peca". Briere-Drury-Roy-Gaustad-Novotny, where do you slot Peca in that depth chart? Do you really want to bump a guy like Gaustad from the lineup for Peca? Gaustad has shown all the signs of possibly developing into exactly what Peca was for this team 7 years ago (please note that number). Do you really want to stunt that growth just so the fans can have a moment of nostalgia?

Please explain why he should be "all over Peca". Briere-Drury-Roy-Gaustad-Novotny, where do you slot Peca in that depth chart? Do you really want to bump a guy like Gaustad from the lineup for Peca? Gaustad has shown all the signs of possibly developing into exactly what Peca was for this team 7 years ago (please note that number). Do you really want to stunt that growth just so the fans can have a moment of nostalgia?

I agree about that we shouldnt be all over him per say, but I disagree that there isn't a place for him on this team, because I would find one for him.

Who knows what the truth is with Connolly right now, and in my opinion Mair has dropped off in the last 2 years, plus now he has concussion issues as well. I don't think Novotny or Paille is a better player than Peca, yet. If we could get him on the cheap, and if this were a DIFFERENT year I would see it possible but not with the amount of guys we have as free agents, the tight budget we are running, and our current surplus at forward. It's not feasible to bring in Peca, nonetheless I think he could fit in on a like with Drury or on the so-called "4th line" if the situation was different.

Just as a note, if you take Connolly and Mair out of the lineup, the lines are something like:

Hecht--Briere--Dumont

???--Drury--Kotalik

Vanek--Roy--Afinogenov

???--Gaustad--Pominville

Insert Mair, Novotny, Paille, Pyatt where u want. Pominville could take that spot on the Drury line, and maybe an outside chance for MacArthur or Zagrapan to make the team??? That should make for an interesting training camp and hopefully will mean the end of Pyatt in Buffalo (I've never been a fan of his and I'm not about to start now).

Archived