Mike Weber

\GoBillsInDallas/

It's a pay subscription site, so here you go:

Weber anxious to join Sabres

By John Enrietto

Butler Eagle Sports Editor

July 3, 2006

At age 15, Mike Weber made the biggest decision of his life ? with the National Hockey League in mind.

The Cranberry Township resident decided to leave Seneca Valley High School and venture to Windsor, Ontario, to play for the Spitfires of the Ontario Hockey League.

"My dream was to get to the NHL,"Weber said. "That was the best way to get there."

That was three years ago. Weber's dream took a huge step toward reality last weekend when the Buffalo Sabres chose the defenseman in the second round of the NHLEntry Draft. He was the 57th pick overall.

Weber was one of 18 OHLplayers ? including Penguins' first-round pick Jordan Staal of Peterborough ? to be drafted in the first two rounds.

"What struck me the most was seeing Mike's reaction after he was drafted,"Spitfires coach Bob Boughner said in a prepared statement. "The pride and excitement displayed by Mike was amazing to see. (He)works extremely hard on and off the ice and this could not have happened to a better kid."

Weber graduated from high school in Windsor Wednesday, four days after being selected by Buffalo. He accumulated five goals, 26 points and 181 penalty minutes for Windsor this past season.

"The OHLis geared toward grooming players for the NHL,"Weber said. "The season lasts 68 games plus playoffs. A college hockey season is only 34 games or so."

Once a player joins the OHL, he forfeits college eligibility as the league's players receive stipends.

"I knew I was taking a chance, but my family supported me and I went for it,"Weber said.

Hockey players must be at least 20 years of age to be sent to a minor league affiliate of an NHLclub. Because Weber is 18, he must make the Sabres roster in training camp or be returned to the OHL's Windsor Spitfires.

Weber was one of three defenseman and a goaltender selected by Buffalo within the first five rounds of the draft. The Sabres' first-round selection was Dennis Persson, a defenseman from the Swedish Junior League.

"They felt like a lack of defensemen cost them a run at the Stanley Cup,"Weber said. "They had a bunch of injuries there last season and did a great job of getting as far as they did."

Buffalo reached the Stanley Cup semifinals before losing in seven games to eventual champion Carolina. Sabres coach Lindy Ruff was named NHLCoach of the Year.

"The organization is tremendous and the city is close enough that my family and friends will be able to see me play a lot,"Weber said. "This worked out well for me.

"I feel like I've got a good chance to make the team. Buffalo's scouts and general manager told me they've seen me play 1,000 times and I have as good a shot as anybody.

"I've been working out, gearing up ... I'm going to training camp with the full intent of making their roster,"Weber said.

Weber stands 6-foot-2 and weighs 199 pounds. He is known as a fundamentally-sound, physical defenseman who can effectively join the attack offensively.

Persson is known as an offensive defenseman.

"They made their draft picks with definite roles in mind for each of us," Weber said.

If Weber doesn't make the Sabres, he has no problem with returning to Windsor.

"I can still play there two more years,"he said. "I came there as a 15-year-old boy and I've matured into a man. That process has benefited me on the ice.

"In terms of work ethic, becoming a leader, I've gotten much better. If I do return to Windsor, hopefully I'll be named team captain."

If he is returned to juniors, Weber would also be eligible to play for the United States in the Junior World Championships next year.

"That's been another one of my goals," he said. "Really, I'm in a win-win situation as far as I'm concerned.

"But I can't lie. I want to play in the NHL."

Wow, that's what I call being confident in your abilities. Good for him though. I'm gonna go on a limb and say he won't make the team just yet. That said, if he is ahead of schedule in his development come training camp, I say send him to Rochester instead of having him go back to juniors.

I'm glad to see Weber is a confident young player, but he was zero chance of being signed by the Sabres prior to the season. If he is as good as advertised, he will have a great year in junior, turn pro next year, play the 07-08 season in Rochester and challenge for a spot on the blueline in 08-09.

Now that I have his career mapped out for him, who else needs career counseling. :D

Archived