This Day in Sabres History :: July 1

July 1, 2001

Just after 1 a.m., the Sabres announce they have traded Dominik Hasek to the Detroit Red Wings for Slava Kozlov, a first round pick in 2002 and future considerations. The pick, which ends up being the 20th overall, becomes Daniel Paille. Future considerations never kick in, since Hasek does not play for Detroit in 2002-03. If he had, the Sabres would have been owed a second round pick if the Wings did not win the Cup and a first if they had. The Sabres reportedly had a deal with St. Louis that would have brought Pavel Demitra or Cory Stillman and goaltender Fred Brathwaite to the Sabres, but Hasek nixed it.

Historical footnote: Readers of this board are the first fans to learn about the trade. The moderator at the time has a contact in the Buffalo media who instant messages him the details as they come in. Pretty cool!

July 1, 2001

Just after 1 a.m., the Sabres announce they have traded Dominik Hasek to the Detroit Red Wings for Slava Kozlov, a first round pick in 2002 and future considerations. The pick, which ends up being the 20th overall, becomes Daniel Paille. Future considerations never kick in, since Hasek does not play for Detroit in 2002-03. If he had, the Sabres would have been owed a second round pick if the Wings did not win the Cup and a first if they had. The Sabres reportedly had a deal with St. Louis that would have brought Pavel Demitra or Cory Stillman and goaltender Fred Brathwaite to the Sabres, but Hasek nixed it.

Historical footnote: Readers of this board are the first fans to learn about the trade. The moderator at the time has a contact in the Buffalo media who instant messages him the details as they come in. Pretty cool!

July 1, 2001 also was the date of one of my KILLER parties in my RIT university commons #92 apartment. We were refreshing message boards like crazy to see what was going down...

July 2, 2001--one of my worst ever hangovers!