Ice test at HSBC after the zamboni gets done...

LabattBlue

I don't remember seeing this during the regular season, but at least a couple of times during the playoffs, they bring out a board with a giant rubber band(or elastic on it), put a puck into it and let it go. The puck usually makes it to the opposite blue line from the zamboni entrance.

My question is...what do the maintenance guys do if the puck doesn't go far enough??

PS I agree with Carolina last night...the ice seemed to be in horrible shape. The puck was bouncing all over the place and seemed to barely be moving by the end of each period.

I don't remember seeing this during the regular season, but at least a couple of times during the playoffs, they bring out a board with a giant rubber band(or elastic on it), put a puck into it and let it go. The puck usually makes it to the opposite blue line from the zamboni entrance.

My question is...what do the maintenance guys do if the puck doesn't go far enough??

PS I agree with Carolina last night...the ice seemed to be in horrible shape. The puck was bouncing all over the place and seemed to barely be moving by the end of each period.

Buffalo ice vs. the Carolina boards - it is pretty much a wash.

No reason the ice in Buffalo should be getting such a bad rap. Buffalo should have the best damn ice in the entire USA. I don't care if it was 98 degrees yesterday....they should fix those pipes in the offseason to make sure HSBC is one of the finest ice surfaces in the NHL. It's embarrassing.

No reason the ice in Buffalo should be getting such a bad rap. Buffalo should have the best damn ice in the entire USA. I don't care if it was 98 degrees yesterday....they should fix those pipes in the offseason to make sure HSBC is one of the finest ice surfaces in the NHL. It's embarrassing.

I agree. I don't know if it's a matter of the entire "ice freezing" system being replaced with something better.

Buffalo ice vs. the Carolina boards - it is pretty much a wash.

:huh: :huh:

Anyone out there old enough to have skated on the Aud Ice back before they raised the roof on it, mid-1950's with the Hamburg Hawks? My dad was on one of those teams and said the ice there was terrible, and from what I've heard since then, the ice at the aud was always bad.

But something tells me that the ice is going to bad everywhere in late May and early June. Edmonton is on the west coast of Canada and it's hotter there than it is in Buffalo.

Maybe the playoffs should end in April? One more reason to shrink the league by getting rid of Southern and Desert teams.

Archived