RFA, Ukko Pekka Luukkonen - what would you sign him for?

LGR4GM

18 hours ago, shrader said:

Compensation isn’t tied into what Buffalo offers. The only thing required of them is a qualifying offer, which would be a one year deal with a 5% raise over his previous contract. That’s all it takes for him to be restricted. The compensation stuff you’re mentioning he nothing to do with what Buffalo offers. 

Right, I did not mean to imply that it was based on what Buffalo offers but what others might if an offer sheet was presented. the magic number is $4,290,125 AAV. The Sabres could play it one of 2 ways. They can send UPL the qualifying offer and let his agent go shopping to other teams. If the Sabres for some mindless reason don't want to pay that much another team would only have to give up a second round pick. Above that number it is a first and a third so very few would be able or want to do that. What another team could do is offer UPL the 4,290,125 for 7 years. That would press the Sabres into a dilemma about matching the offer which they have the right to do. The other option is the Sabres offer something above the $4,290,125 for a shorter term from the get go and be done with it. Combine UPL's salary with Comrie's and add 1.7 million you are around where you need to be for a 4 year contract I think.   

On 4/6/2024 at 8:24 AM, Night Train said:

I find it funny that the above thoughts are 2-3 year bridge $. Yet they give underachieving/turnover prone Power a huge deal way too early.

UPL is our MVP. Yes, use caution on overpaying anyone but he's the only one trying many nights. 

Underachieving?

When you look at Power's stats, fancy stats or regular, you just don't see underachieving.   I guess it depends on the bar that is set for him.  When I watch him I see mostly solid play, he can get into trouble at times, and he avoids contact like the plague.  The  contact part of it is what bothers most people here, he definitely will not reach elite status unless he starts using his body more  - just us your body to block some people put, clear the front of net, and shield/protect the puck with your body and reach.  This is essential for a defenseman.   Little Clifton does it, Power can do it.  

For a 21 year old playing top four minutes he has been pretty good.  For an $8M/yr guy (next year) playing top 4 minutes that is the rub.  

The blame for that is not Power, its Adams.  

Hopefully Power hits the gym hard and gets stronger in the upper body.  Add lower body work to help with speed.  He could really use some footwork help too.   Finally, someone teach him how to hockey fight, meaning how to get leverage, how to hold on,  and how to use his size and reach to his advantage.  He is no fighter, but knowing this will come in handy because someday someone is going to take him on whether he wants to dance or not, it happens.  

He has a lot to work on but there is a ton of ability here too.