Ooh! Aah! Sabres on the warpath!

UnionAMG

They weren't being thanked for losing. Come on. Wow, you are a hardass, aren't you? :)

You must have great vision if you were at the arena and saw Hull's skate in the crease. I don't think the goal was ever replayed on the Jumbotron. Many fans didn't know there was a "problem" until they got out of the building. This is one of the reasons I can't get worked up (any more) over Hull's goal. First off, it was a goal that had been scored legally for decades in the NHL, until the league's bizarre crease rule. Second, no one seemed to have any problem with it when it happened, not Terry Gregson, not the Sabres on the ice, not the fans, not the media... no one. How bad could it have been? I've always said one of the blessings of that night is that there was no announcement of a review and no replay on the Jumbotron. If that had happened, and the goal had been allowed, I honestly believe there would have been riots in Buffalo that night. We can debate forever whether the league would have allowed the goal had the crowd been aware of it. By the way, the league always has maintained that they reviewed it, just without an announcement, albeit a very quick one. The refs did stand at the scorer's table that night for a minute or so before the goal was OKed.

PA, you know darn well from our previous discussions, that Gregson DID have a problem with it when it happened and he was waiting for the people upstairs to tell him if Hull was in the crease. They did not tell him whether Hull was in the crease, they told him the goal was good. (Which, with the rules in place at the time, was COMPLETE AND UTTER KAKA.)

And, whether the #!$@#@ league reviewed it or not, the RULE STATED THAT IT WAS THE REFEREE'S CALL, NOT COLIN'S, NOT THE VRJ, AND NOT BETTMAN'S CALL. Gregson did not know whether Hull was in the crease or not because Holzinger was blocking his vision and the other ref was too far away to say for certain whether Hull was in the crease or not. Gregson IS ON RECORD AS STATING THAT HAD THE VRJ TOLD HIM HULL WAS IN THE CREASE, Gregson WOULD HAVE WAVED OFF THE GOAL.

So don't go telling me that the goal was good because some idiot upstairs told reporters that they could go out on the ice and interview Hull. The #@!$@!$@# shot was NOT A GOAL. THE LEAGUE DID NOT FOLLOW IT'S OWN PROCEDURES. I am still waiting to see how that game ends.

It was me and my friend....it didn't catch on after 15 seconds, so I quit. We were in 317. I thought there was a good chance he was in the crease.

The refs went over, but didn't receive a call. The people upstairs didn't do anything. And yes, it was contrary to the rulebook. And that's all that really matters.

The NHL did say that every goal was reviewed in their covering their ass in 1999.

Sitting in 317, you had a much better chance of seeing Hull in the crease than I did from 305.

I wish so much that you would have stuck with it, because had the fans started a review chant, Bettman would have been forced to allow a proper review.

Had they reviewed that shot, I don't know that the Sabres would have won. I do know they would have still had a chance, which is all I can ask for.

I can't believe you guys are arguing about this tonight of all nights ... call a truce and enjoy things ...

BtP, ANYTIME someone is silly enough to claim that the events of June 19, 1999 weren't FUBAR'D, I will argue with them. They are @!#@#$@ wrong.

Archived