Hasek?

Orange Seats

Hasek practises but still not ready

Dominik Hasek

Dominik Hasek

Canadian Press

5/10/2006 12:29:52 PM

BUFFALO, N.Y. (CP) - That Bryan Murray, he's quite the joker.

After Dominik Hasek took part in the Ottawa Senators' morning practice for Game 3 in their second-round NHL playoff series against the Buffalo Sabres on Wednesday night, the head coach was asked who he would be starting in goal.

Hasek had looked during the workout as if he was ready to stop pucks in a game for the first time since suffering a groin injury during the first period of the Czech Republic's Olympic opener Feb. 15. Enter a knight in shining armour to rescue the Senators.

So, who's going to be your starting goaltender, Brian?

''Dominik Hasek.''

He said it with a straight face. There was silence in the HSBC Arena news conference room. Jaws dropped. Could Murray be serious?

No, he got real.

''Ray Emery.''

A burst of laughter - not in reaction to the pronouncement of Emery's name, but at Murray's audacity to pull the collective media's leg.

It appears, however, that Hasek actually is nearly ready to start a game, but Murray is reluctant to rush a change.

''He probably could if we had to use him,'' Murray replied when asked if he considered Hasek capable of starting Game 3. ''It appears he's able to play.

''He's not going to.''

Murray is convinced his team can advance past Buffalo with Emery in goal, and to pull the rug out from under Emery now would be a non-confidence vote capable of damaging the kid's career beyond repair. Besides, Hasek hasn't played an NHL game since beating the Philadelphia Flyers last Feb. 11. That's a lot of rust to scrape off a 41-year-old Czech.

Fifteen minutes after Murray's news conference, Hasek was surrounded by a throng in the Senators' dressing room.

Well, Dom, would you be fit enough to start Game 3, as Murray suggested you might be?

''That's a tough question,'' said Hasek. ''I definitely feel a big improvement.

''I can work hard in the practice. I'm almost ready. Brian might have said it but I don't feel like I could play, but I'm pretty close.

''I can feel a huge improvement. I can go up and down. I can jump. I can make two-pad slides. Compared to last week, it's a huge improvement. Finally I feel like a goalie.''

This sideshow has been distracting. Hasek shows up every once in a while. He becomes the centre of attention and most of the microphones go his way. Emery puts up with it best he can.

''Dom has been working hard to get back,'' he said. ''That's the most I've seen him do so far.

''It's good to see him feel better. I'm going to do my best until Dom is ready to play and that's how I look at it. I just worry about my own thing. I'm not worried about Dom.''

Hasek was asked if he envisions himself returning for any game in this series.

''I wish, but I don't want to make any prediction because I'm not sure,'' he said. ''I'm glad to be back on the ice with my teammates and working hard in practice, which is a big part of the thing.

''At this point, Ray still can do a better job,'' he added. ''I am not what I need to be to play. That's where I am right now.''

Hasek says he feels Ray is ''good enough to beat the Buffalo Sabres.''

''I have lots of confidence in my teammates and in our goalie,'' added Hasek. ''Ray, he didn't have the best game the first one but I believe he can do the job.''

Link

Archived