Rope-a-dope

nfreeman

Maybe I'm crazy, but I felt like I was watching the rumble in the jungle. The Sabres, like Ali, hanging back, steering all of the punches into spots where they would do the least possible harm (Miller's breadbasket), letting the giant brute punch himself tired, and then, when there was an opening -- STRIKING LIKE A RATTLESNAKE.

Collars feeling a little tight, Senators? You are in big trouble. You took your best shots tonight and the Kid swatted them away. We lost our best forward and we still sent you home hungry in your own backyard. We don't quit. We come in waves. We block shots. We break up passes. We have the best goalie in the league. We've beaten you 5 out of 7. We are the Buffalo Sabres. Who are you, exactly? What else have you got?

Whatever it is, you'd better bring it on Wednesday.

Exactly the analogy I was thinking of today. The Sabres aren't going to slug it out in the corners, they play the passing and shooting lanes. They look to intercept passes, block shots, or control rebounds and turn them the other way.

That's why I don't necessarily believe the Sabres are being outplayed. They have seven goals in transition in this series, which is, I believe, their gameplan.

What can you say about a team who plays the highest scoring team in the league and outscores them in game 1 and then holds them to one goal in game 2?

Rope-a-dope baby, rope-a-dope.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I felt like I was watching the rumble in the jungle. The Sabres, like Ali, hanging back, steering all of the punches into spots where they would do the least possible harm (Miller's breadbasket), letting the giant brute punch himself tired, and then, when there was an opening -- STRIKING LIKE A RATTLESNAKE.

Collars feeling a little tight, Senators? You are in big trouble. You took your best shots tonight and the Kid swatted them away. We lost our best forward and we still sent you home hungry in your own backyard. We don't quit. We come in waves. We block shots. We break up passes. We have the best goalie in the league. We've beaten you 5 out of 7. We are the Buffalo Sabres. Who are you, exactly? What else have you got?

Whatever it is, you'd better bring it on Wednesday.

It's how the Oilers beat the Red Wings. They knew they couldn't out gun the Wings for seven games so they let the Wings buzz around and played solid position hockey. I think the Sens have been a tired team in the third peroid.

The Sabres will continue to dump the puck and hammer the defense and wait for the turnovers to start. ;)

Archived